You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Toyota > Aristo
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Aristo JDM Lexus GS300

Aristo dies/restarts and then revs drop and dies again

Aristo

Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

Default Aristo dies/restarts and then revs drop and dies again

Hey guys

Some of you might remember I've had issues with my Aristo's battery since I've got it, and the same issue is happening with a new battery (the old one was not bad) and I figured out that the stock connection has some plastic bit that prevents a proper tight connection. What happens is sometimes the dash lights turn on when trying to start and everything does and it's not fixed until I wiggle the + battery connector.

I'm hoping this is the reason for what happened tonight. As I came to a stop the lights on the dash dimmed and the car just shut off (a few times this has kind of happened but the car came back to life quickly) and lost all power and wouldn't restart until I moved the + battery connector a few times. When it did restart all the lights stayed lit up and the revs dropped to 0 and the car died (this happened 3 times in a row). Then I moved the + connector again and restarted and was able to limp the car off the road (fortunately I was arriving home when this happened but it could have been on a steep and busy hill if it happened 3 minutes earlier!).

So what could this be? Is it just the cold making the connection so intermittent that the died on it's own? After I got it started the car was running like crap and at like 100-200 RPM and wanted to die. I wonder if this is also related to the issue of a warm start where the revs drop from 750 and hover around 550 for a few minutes and misfires and then eventually rise and smooth out.

Before I go anywhere tomorrow I'm going to resolve the battery connection finally and hope that's the end of it.

But in case it's not does anyone have any other ideas about what could be wrong?

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Braden

Do you think maybe the alternator could be dying? Dim dash lights, and maybe it's not fully charging your battery.

Just a thought. I'd get a solid positive and negative battery connection first and foremost however.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 PM

It did occur to me but normally a dead alternator won't let the car start again at all but it could just slowly be dying.

I'm hoping the battery connection issue will be the end of it.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Yeah, check the voltage across the battery with a voltmeter when the car is running. Also maybe go through and check your ground and just generally your connections.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Did you end up putting new terminals on when you replaced the battery?
I've had to do that on most of my cars, they are like 7$ at canadian tire, that could cause all the problems you are having.

Check charge voltage on the battery while running 13.5+v -14v or so to verify alternator, but likely just crappy terminals. (all my toyotas have had this, except the Celsior)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys but fortunately I think everything is fine because the issue hasn't happened at all since I tightened everything up. I went out the next day and cut off the plastic piece from the + connector that was making it impossible to tighten the bolt all the way (this is the only way in Aristo to make a snug and secure fit). After that plastic was removed I was able to fully tighten and secure the + connector so it wouldn't budge at all. I should have done this sooner once I realized it was the issue but I didn't realize it could be such a safety issue (for months it only happened when starting the car, not while driving).

I can only guess back in the day the terminals on batteries were much bigger because both the original aftermarket JDM battery and new Kirkland had the same size terminals.

I didn't change the terminals at all but they do appear fine. This probably one of the few design flaws I could find in Aristo.

Here's the thread about the connection issue (I thought it was a dying battery at first): http://forums.jdmvip.com/Dying_Batte..._Aristo-3078-t
Sponsored Links