You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Subaru > Subaru General
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Subaru General For Models Not Listed. If there is enough interest you can request the mods to open up a new forum for a specific car.

Forester SF5A EJ20G and transmission reliable/reliability?

Subaru General

Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

Default Forester SF5A EJ20G and transmission reliable/reliability?

I'm very interested in these vehicles because of the 250HP, TD04 (or so I read for now) and that a chassis plate confirms SF5A has an EJ20G engine, but it looks more like EJ20K (wasted spark) and more like the EJ20H/R intake setup and EJ20K/H/R style coolant filler tank.

I haven't been able to find much about this EJ20G, I didn't know another variant of EJ20G existed, especially after the EJ20K generally phased out the G.

Let's use this thread to figure out more about this engine and confirm/deny some myths.

One thing is for sure though, if this newer EJ20G is based on the K, I'm not interested. I've read enough about the EJ20K/R (based on the K) to be afraid. I even scoffed at a claim that the EJ20K uses 2.5RS bearings (and it is actually true by part number!).
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

where does all this ej20k hatred come from? The stories you read are of people doing swaps, which are much less reliable than getting a car with that engine from the factory. If these foresters have lasted this long I doubt the engines are as bad as everyone makes the k's out to be

Didn't know the foresters had TD04, was thinkin TD05. Oh well
Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Braden

Stock/lightly modded a K will hold up fine. It's when people do swaps and try to make huge power they fail just like a 20g. Because really, almost everyone who does a swap bolts on a huge turbo, injectors, fuel pump, and expects to make 400awhp on the stock engine. Not to mention the questionable engines people bring in with "about 60,000 miles". That doesn't help the cause.

Last edited by Braden : 01-17-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:25 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Ah okay. There's especially no reason to worry with the forester as it is likely going to be a DD anyway. Unless you're making a high HP forester build, in which case you would likely want an engine swap anyway
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Send a message via MSN to ozalkl Send a message via Yahoo to ozalkl

the Ej20G in the SF-5 Foresters are the same as WRX engine used in early GC8 models (which are very solid) not sure if its closed deck, but again it all comes down to the condition of the engine and what kind of mods you are planing for it, and the on the other hand the EJ20K are used in WRX STi Version III & IV models.

I read about this at Forester forums, not really sure if its true, maybe you guys can shed some lights here

1997 JDM Subaru Forester S/tb (engine rebuild in progress)
1992 Skyline GTST SOLD
1996 JDM Toyota Windom (Family Car)
2008 Honda Civic SOLD
1991 Skyline GTST Type M SOLD
1993 Lancer Evolution III SOLD

Visit www.webdesignlabs.ca for Website Design & Development, website packages starting from $499 only!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Well...

For the ej20k...I will be the testing grounds for everyone. I'll keep it on just light mods, put abunch of mileage on it and daily drive it as hard as I do to my v1 right now! I'm sure it's going to be fine.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

ozalkl the G in Forester is not the same as the one used in GC8 WRX/STi.
Little is known about these engines as far as my forum research goes.

I'm going to make a thread about SF5A EJ20G. I recall reading on Nasioc that some G's were really K's. I'm guessing they were inadvertantly referring to Forester.

There's a chance that inside it's more of a G but I doubt it because Forester is closely based on Impreza chassis and driveline and the engine looks just like a K.
Sponsored Links