You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Subaru > Impreza
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GC8 Impreza WRX STi Fuel Filter Change

Impreza

Old 04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

Default GC8 Impreza WRX STi Fuel Filter Change

I just did this today and I'll just report our experience and observations.
My car is 16 years old now and we're sure the filter was never changed, so this is the original fuel filter. The car runs a little smoother and accelerates more smoothly now too.

It wouldn't have been that hard, but the rubber hoses were really stuck on there. You really have to stick a long, small flat head screw driver right to the second notch to make it come off the rest of the way.

If we did this again we would have let the car sit a big longer to relieve some pressure but I don't know how much it would have helped. The car was only sitting for about 20 minutes though.

We didn't disconnect the battery or the relay for the fuel pump which supposedly relieves the fuel pressure somewhat. Even then I've read there will still be pressure in the filter itself ( I can vouch for that because I partially sprayed myself with gasoline ). So be more careful than I was when pulling off the hose, we knew there would be pressure and some gasoline would come out but didn't think it would be like that. Picture the fuel filter like a can of pop that you just shook and then opened suddenly, that is what happened when I took the "IN hose" off

The most tricky part to not mess up is to remember which hose connects to the in and out port on the fuel filter. The hose coming from the firewall side is the one that you connect to IN, and the hose coming from the other side is connected to the OUT.

If anyone is interested let me know and I'll post a few pics.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

I Want Pics!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:44 PM

I'll try and get some up later today. It's really simple, I won't have step-by-step pics but enough to explain it all.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

yeah if you could, its part of my tune up
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM

OK I will seriously get all the pics for various things I've been promising late tonight or early morning.

I swear the new filter has improved gas mileage too. I normally can't get to 360 km and still have an 1/8th of a tank left. I must have had at least 4 liters left in my tank.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM

Sorry, I broke my promise again

Here they are though, let me know if anything doesn't make sense etc...

*One tip I'll repeat is remove the fuel cap which should release some pressure in the system.
*Have a rag handy ready to cover the spraying fuel that will come out of either side of the fuel filter (especially on the first side you remove).
*A flathead screw driver is your best friend, use it to carefully push and pry the cables off (do not twist, I heard this is bad for the fuel lines).
*Be patient, these took some time to get off and back on and it did take a lot of force (I guess it depends on how old your lines are and when the last time your fuel filter was changed).

These are the toughest cables I've removed or put back on, we actually couldn't get them back on 99% if you look at the before and after.

Last edited by jdmvip : 04-27-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Great diy thanks! By chance want to let us know where you got it from/part number? My car starts like a pile of shit and it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Any 93 impreza fuel filter should work. Changing this won't help the car start, ej20g's like to start like shit when its a bit cold outside lol. Buts its good to do if you've never done it.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Braden

One from something like a 04 wrx works as well
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

I know the thread is old but I just did mine using 04WRX filter. Works fine! Opening the gas cap and relieving the pressure did the trick as well, no gas spill. Dripped a bit of gasoline on the tubing where it connects on the pump assembly to lubricate and then used a 10mm open ended wrench and putted it on the metal IN/OUT tube against the rubber tubing to help pry it off, went smoothly!