You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Import Discussion > Japan
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Japan General questions and information relating to JDM Used Cars in Japan. Eg. the cost of servicing etc..

How to buy a car in 18 seconds.

Japan

Old 01-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Official JDMVip.com Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark - Brave Auto
Default How to buy a car in 18 seconds.

Some might be interested to see how quick the auctions are in Japan.

Brought the following for customer this week, my customer had been asking me how can one auction sell thousands of vehicles per day.

I made a video to show him and with luck, brought the car for him as well.

Mark Bremner
Brave Auto International - Japan Based Vehicle Exporter & Auction Agent - 20yrs Sourcing & Exporting Genuine Hi-Grade Vehicles to Customers Worldwide.

Main Website / Japanese Auction Search Website / Facebook / Youtube
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Banned

That...Was sweet! so fast paced. Why does it only take 18 seconds? Does the bidding hit a wall?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Official JDMVip.com Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Mark - Brave Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregA View Post
That...Was sweet! so fast paced. Why does it only take 18 seconds? Does the bidding hit a wall?
Some times it takes 5 seconds and other times it can be as long as 25 seconds. It just depends on what the start price is, what the reserve is and other bidders.

The bidding is not cut and dry as people think, sometimes the seller is present at the auction and they can see how many people are bidding on their vehicle. They can tell the auction controller when to release (sell) the vehicle if they want or just let it run to the set reserve.

There are some tricks we do as a buyer when bidding live to fool the seller, sometimes they work and sometimes not.

The long and short of it, different auction groups have different ways you bid, if you are not experienced as a bidder and knowing how each auction house works, you have a higher chance of paying too much for the vehicle. When I say too much, I do not mean over your budget but you will pay close to your max budget if you do not know what you are doing. Some agents do not care what the customer pays at auction because they still receive their agents fee wether they secure the car for 300,000yen or 500,000yen when your budget is 500,000yen. The way I look at it, if I can save the customer some $$ on their first vehicle he/she then has some more $$ to play with and normally they will try on another vehicle. But this does not always work (securing the vehicle for a lot less than the budget) but as an agents, it is what we are paid to do.

I see many agents in the auction houses bidding flat out as you can hear them clicking away on the button. The car starts at 100,000yen and they go flat out up to 500,000yen and then stop (reached their budget). One of the tricks is to bid just a couple of times in the beginning and then the odd bid up to your budget. This then fools the seller (sometimes) and he/she thinks there is not much interest so they will release the vehicle (sometimes) and as soon as the selling light comes on, you go flat out then. But you have to be careful here as well and will depend on a few other things like another agent/buyer making you pay top money since he/she cannot have it (gone past their budget). But they also risk the fact that I might suddenly stop bidding and they are now the last bidder and have just paid 100,000 or 500,000yen more than they wanted when they were trying to make you pay top money for the vehicle.

Then there are agents that only bid once at the beginning and nothing after that. There is a reason they do this as they want the vehicle not to sell live but rather go to negotiation. I will save why this is done for another time.

Any way, there are many different ways agents bid and many different tricks, first key is to get the seller to release the vehicle when bidding live.

Cheers

Mark.

Mark Bremner
Brave Auto International - Japan Based Vehicle Exporter & Auction Agent - 20yrs Sourcing & Exporting Genuine Hi-Grade Vehicles to Customers Worldwide.

Main Website / Japanese Auction Search Website / Facebook / Youtube
Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

So to interpret, when that red light came on indicating the vehicle was being released, you were in a frantic bid race with one or two others? So it becomes a matter of fast clicking and luck to get the last bid before the time runs out?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Wow thats really interesting! it hadn't even occured to me that lazy agents will just goto the max price since they get the commision either way!
1998 Acura 1.6 EL
1998 Chevrolet Astro AWD
96 Suzuki Katana/ 97 Honda CR250R / 05 AC 500 ATV
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Thanks for posting this up Mark! It's crazy to think that all happens so fast! I still don't think I fully understand. I'll have to watch it a few more times.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Also check this out, around minute 14 they go to an auction house and see what it's like. You see the clickers and stuff. Pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Y97oLjiuA
I don't know if Mark et al. actually go to the auction houses, or what... still hella cool.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 AM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to mak

thank you, it is very quick process...
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

Interesting thread, I had no idea that's how it works until you showed me the video of winning Aristo.

So is this how it works behind the scenes with the DIY Exporters? I always assumed it was a computerized system with no user intervention but I'm guessing even the DIY Exporters (eg. where the user places their own max bid) must have an army of people bidding like this?
Sponsored Links