You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Subaru > Impreza
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

No Heat!!

Impreza

Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Default No Heat!!

FFS! Guys this car is really starting to piss me off!! Get one thing fixed another pops up!

So I have ZERO heat coming out of my face vents, got floor heat and defrost is warm. I shut the car off and listened to the motors behind the dash moving, iv changed the rad t-stat and coolant, has anyone had this issue? This car is nickle and dimeing me to death and its pissing me off to no end. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thabx
Garrett
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

So you have air, but it's not hot? If so, it must be a valve somewhere that's stuck closed. Seems a bit strange to me though that it would be hot from one vent and not from another. Then again, I don't know how the system is rigged up, so maybe each vent system has it's own valve?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

How's your coolant level?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to RawRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick View Post
How's your coolant level?
And did you burp the cooling system properly? Could be as simple as an air bubble.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

EDIT (didn't see that you had heat blowing in certain settings): Ensure that the air mix doors are opening correctly. Saw quite a few times where guys are replacing every last part for the cooling system to find out one of the air mix doors is stuck. Your issue is different than what I wrote below. Below applies to anyone who has no heat blowing at any setting. I'll keep it there in case anyone else runs into that problem. Your issue almost definitely sounds like a mix door is not moving (common for actuated mix doors that subie's with "AUTO" setting would have.) It could be anything from a door not moving to a worn out door motor. Friend has a Pulsar GTIR with the exact same issue. Get heat in some modes (usually defrost and floor) but will not blow hot air towards face. This problem is a headache for sure and I don't have enough knowledge on our setup with the electric air mix doors (mine is cable driven thankfully)

If you have NO HEAT in any mode (face, feet, defrost) :

Make sure ALL the air in cooling system is out. Also, make sure you are for sure running the correct strength (buy a coolant tester and make sure the coolant strength in your system is around -37) My coolant strength was too strong and when it hit -30 a few weeks ago, I didn't have heat at idle til I flushed it all out and put in proper strength. Too weak it freezes, too strong it gels. Both equal poor heating.

If you do not have any air left in your system and your coolant strength is correct, you may want to have your car booked in for a heater core back flush. You could try to do it yourself but you really need some sort of pump to push coolant through the heater core.

The way we do it at work is to remove both the heater core lines in the engine bay, pour some hydrochloric acid (aka muriatic acid MIXED WITH WATER) down one of the hoses and let it sit in the heater core for awhile (5-10 min). Then we hook up our coolant flush machine and pump all the acid out and replace it with fresh coolant. There are walkthrough's online that talk about how to do it at home with air pumps and stuff too. If after the heater core has been backflushed, all the air is out of the cooling system, you're running correct strength coolant and there still isn't any heat, you may be looking a completely plugged heater core (requires replacement at that point) or a blockage somewhere else down the line.

Last edited by krarks : 02-08-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

My first guess would be engine coolant temp sensor.

Last winter mine suddenly wouldn't blow hot air, coolant and thermostat were fine. I changed the engine temp sensor and it never occurred again. That coolant sensor is responsible for a lot more things than most people think. Kind of a PITA to change though, I had some fun getting the new one in...

Also, you can buy them from subaru, don't think it was very expensive, I could grab the part number for you tomorrow but it should be on opposedforces
Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Well clearly if he has heat coming out of the other vents, its not a coolant problem, heater core, its got to be the vent control motor or flap door.

Tear it down! probably not that hard to get at.

Old+Anycar=fiddlty bits here and there, my car is the same
1998 Acura 1.6 EL
1998 Chevrolet Astro AWD
96 Suzuki Katana/ 97 Honda CR250R / 05 AC 500 ATV
Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Whoops skipped over the part about heat working in other places.

Sorry, not familiar with how the air routing works
Sponsored Links