Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK importers

User Info Menu

Question UK importers

Hi guys!

My name is Miha and I come from Slovenia. I found this forum when searching for information about buying an used car in Japan and import it to Europe. I must say I find the forum extremely useful .

Before I continue, I should say I am not searching for a Japanese used car, but an Italian legend Lancia Delta Evoulzione. So, if you will not allow me to ask any questions (since I am not looking for a Japanese car) I would understand. But on the other hand I am looking for some general information and I hope you could help me...

There are many companies that advertise exporting used cars from Japan, but I do not want to send money to company I do not know. There is no guarantee to receive the car you payed for. In my opinion the only criteria when choosing a car exporter is a positive feedback from previous customers. I found some suggestions on this forum about who is a trustworthy seller, but my situation is slightly different since there is no importer in Slovenia and have to find it abroad.

My wish is to find a car on auction, have it shipped to Europe and then import it to Slovenia. Could you please tell me if there is any big difference in price if you buy on auction or in dealer's stock. I know the price is specific for each car, but in general are car prices from deales's stock significantly higher than prices on auctions? I want to know whether to follow just auctions, stock or maybe both...
    If a car in dealer's stock costs 1.800.000 Yen could I expect to get it maybe for 1.600.000 on auction?

I am looking for a trustworthy exporter that could find me the car (in good condition) and arrange all the necessary papers and transport to Europe. My idea is to ship the car to UK and after all the customs fees and taxes are payed transport it (by a car truck) to Slovenia. As I checked some exporters, they only ship to major European ports (none of them in Slovenia) and the other reason I would like the car to be shipped to UK are the taxes that are much lower than in Slovenia. Once the car is in UK port, who does all the paperwork and customs procedures? The company that sold me the car, or do I need to hire any other company, or could I do it by myself?

I expect to start seriously looking for my dream car at the and of this year
    (november, december), but before I go for it, I would like to get as many
    information as possible and to establish contact with a dealer that could provide me such car. There are also Lancias that are on sale here in Europe, but the prices are too high for my budget... But the main reason I would like to buy a car from Japan is the fact that there are many many very interesting cars there (well preserved with little mileage and special series)

Since English is not my native language I apologise for any misstyped words and weird sentences...

So, if any of you could suggest an honest dealer (or you are one) that would be willing to do this kind of business, I would much appreciate your help. If you do not want to say it in public, you can send me a PM.

I am a serious buyer, please be free to check my e-bay fedback (My ID: Migi_slo).

Thank you all for your time and help!

Kind regards,
    Miha

User Info Menu

Hello Miha

Welcome to the forums. There are lots of good Exporters in Japan, you just have to find a good one of course.

It depends on the car when it comes to pricing, I don't know much about Lancia Delta, although it is a legendary car. Some models are cheaper to buy outside of auction, and some are cheaper to buy through auction.

I see some go between $3000-$25000 USD from Exporter stock, for chassis L31E5

It also depends if the car you want is available in stock or from auction. With the auctions it can take a long time to find a good car.

There are many who have a good reputation on our forums who can ship to the UK.

I don't know the procedure for customs in the UK but I'm sure someone can help you out with that information.

PS your English is just fine, there are lots of people who speak it as a first language who can't spell properly.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the answer!
    So, you suggest to search both in stock and on auctions? This gives me the widest choice, which is great!

When I start looking for the car I do not expect to find it in the first month. Since it is my dream car I am willing to wait quite a lot...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I see some go between $3000-$25000 USD from Exporter stock, for chassis L31E5
    Price will depend wether it is an 8 valve model ($3k) through to the last of the Evolutions ($25k). The Evo models have a percentage of aluminum panels so you need to make sure you find a good straight example.

Quote Originally Posted by Migi_slo View Post
    I am looking for a trustworthy exporter that could find me the car (in good condition) and arrange all the necessary papers and transport to Europe. My idea is to ship the car to UK and after all the customs fees and taxes are payed transport it (by a car truck) to Slovenia. As I checked some exporters, they only ship to major European ports (none of them in Slovenia) and the other reason I would like the car to be shipped to UK are the taxes that are much lower than in Slovenia. Once the car is in UK port, who does all the paperwork and customs procedures? The company that sold me the car, or do I need to hire any other company, or could I do it by myself?
    Miha
    I would ship it to Rotterdam and then arrange to move it to Slovenia. I use to have a customs broker there that most of my UK customers used back in the nineties as you could not import JDM vehicles directly into the UK so we would ship them to Rotterdam, unload them and then transport/ferry them across into the UK.
    The taxes are or were the same as the UK and I found the facilities and security at Rotterdam far more superior than the UK ports.
    I cannot remember the name of the company in Rotterdam but I can have a dig around for it. They were good to work with which made my life easy.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

I was a kind of hoping to get an answer from you as you have good reputation and as seen from your answer you also know Deltas, which is great!

Thank you for the comments on importing to Europe!

I am basically looking for a 16V Evoluzione II from year 1993-1995. Am not after special series (although wouldn't mind ) but would definitely like a white or a yellow one.

If you would be willing to help me getting my dream car, please let me know, and we can discuss specific details by PM (or directly here on forum if that is fine with you).
    Thanks again!

Miha

User Info Menu

This has also been a dream car of mine for many years. I would have guessed my JDMvip would know more about it being a 2.0 rally car. I prefer the looks of the Evo 1 but would take either. I still remember seeing my first one here in Japan. In Canada they really don't exist.

Group b has always been alluring to me.

Besides the Delta I am a fan of the RS200 and the Quattro.

I would say that the dealers mark up these vehicles a lot. I looked into getting one when I landed here but the $25000 turned me off. I also remember the sage advice of Jeremy Clarkson in the early 2000s saying that most are bagged pretty badly and those one will be expensive to live with.

A quick price check at auction shows 700000 yen - 1500000 yen.
    This one went for 1800000 yesterday but has a complete service history, 58,000km, and many mods. It had a front end collission at one time too. I didn't fully check the auction sheet cause I don't have time tonight so there may be a reason for the high price.
    Last edited by Derek; 07-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Migi_slo View Post
    I was a kind of hoping to get an answer from you as you have good reputation and as seen from your answer you also know Deltas, which is great!

Thank you for the comments on importing to Europe!

I am basically looking for a 16V Evoluzione II from year 1993-1995. Am not after special series (although wouldn't mind ) but would definitely like a white or a yellow one.

If you would be willing to help me getting my dream car, please let me know, and we can discuss specific details by PM (or directly here on forum if that is fine with you).
    Thanks again!

Miha
    Hi Ya...

I am not an expert on them but I do follow them.

Myself, I am a fan of the 80/90's European Touring Cars as well as some of the rally ones like the Lancia, Metro 6R4 & Quattro.

Just contact me direct...... I prefer to use normal email for correspondence with customers as it is easier for me to backup and file our correspondence.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    A quick price check at auction shows 700000 yen - 1500000 yen.
    700,000....... even 800,000 or 900,000 for EVO's in good nick, not accident/repaired, no under body rust, tidy interior, no dash cracks etc.... If you can find them for that price..... I will take ten of them.

For a good one.... you will pay between 1.3 - 1.5m yen I am afraid..... depending on the car you could pay even more.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

@Derek: I like very much EVO II (and martini) interior with high back Recaro seats... mmmm...

If the delta on the image is genuine Martini 5 the price isn't very high - in comparission to the prices in EU (one Martini 5 is being sold for 30000 EUR)

@BraveAutoInternational:
    I checked the Delta stock list on Goo-net and there are many Deltas for 2M+ yen and only a few for 1.5M.

But if you say a good Delta can be found for 1.3-1.5 M that would be great!
    I will send you an email (thank you!) but first i must think what all would I like to ask you, so I wouldn't bother you every 2 days with my questions...

Thank you all for your posts and comments! I really can't wait to start the buying procedure...

User Info Menu

How can you tell a true Martini model? Is there a Vin number lookup somewhere?