Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing marker lights: DIY

User Info Menu

Default Installing marker lights: DIY

Well, I braved cutting my car today...It was scary, but I think the end result it very good!! I used marker's I got from dah_hunter from a lexus and they look a lot better than some other choices I've seen... Here is how it was done:

First of all, I picked with the help of hunter's keen eye where the best spot for our pretty lexus lights...here looks good.

This is a trick I thought would work the best for what we were needing to accomplish. This one isn't accurate, because I shaved off everything except the bulb housing...put lots of tape around the thing you need a whole of, and then transfer that onto the car so you know how much to cut!

For reference, I eyeballed a line to where I wanted the marker to roughly line up with...

Then you carefully place the tape template where you want the marker to sit.

== Chris ==
    2007 Yamaha FZ6 (for sale)
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd
    1992 Levin GT-Apex - soon to be retired

User Info Menu

Then I also taped some paper around the hole for when I would be painting...

Making the first cut...was a little emotional. It was bawls out at this point.

== Chris ==
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd

User Info Menu

We have a hole!!

== Chris ==
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd

User Info Menu

After sanding it smooth, apply primer or sealant to prevent corrosion

FINAL PRODUCT!!!
    I think it looks pretty damn good!! I attached the light with clear silicone as that stuff will hold amazingly well, and will also seal it up at the same time. It's also one of the esiest to use, and more forgiving...easy to remove if booboo's happen. I used a different glue on the other side and it wasn't good...I know have to spend some extra time cleaning up around the light, and then beading it with some silicone.

The markers were then spliced into the rear tail's. I will post some night pics when I have some time...these look very nice!

If anyone needs help, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by jdmvip; 04-18-2008 at 03:54 PM.
    == Chris ==
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I just edited your thread to sticky it, this is something any Skyline owner should see.
    And this could be the beginning of mods moderating mods lol

User Info Menu

haha, thanks dude.

I've quite happy with the way these markers look. Also it was difficult to measure exactly so these are mostly eyeballed for the first one, and then the other side was easier...they are hawt!
    == Chris ==
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd

User Info Menu

It looks completely professional too.

User Info Menu

now that mine is done, it would be easy to create a template for doing other cars...
    == Chris ==
    1995 BMW 525i Ltd

User Info Menu

The pictures don't do it justice but I was impressed in real life at how well Chris did his sidemarkers when I saw them at the GTRC meet on Sunday.