Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GC8A-C/GF8A-C (92-96) WRX/STi Brakepad Discs Rotor Information

User Info Menu

Default GC8A-C/GF8A-C (92-96) WRX/STi Brakepad Discs Rotor Information

This info should apply to any early GC8 WRX/STi with 2-pot calipers in the front and single pots in the back.
    I'm going to clean this up based on Soren's findings and also raceready's comments.
    The rotor's and brakes are actually the exact same thing as 1991-1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo Sport (with the exception of Wagon GF8A-C).
    Sedan - GC8A-C (92-96) WRX/STi use the same 2-pot front calipers and rotors/pads in the front.
    Wagon - GF8A-C WRX/STi (92-96) is the same in the front but in the back uses smaller non-vented solid rotors (possibly from Impreza 98-01 RS rear rotors).

I also believe the 1998 RS GC8 Impreza found in North America uses the same size rotor as well (not confirmed for sure).

The front rotors are approximately 276mm and the corresponding brake pads apply to the rotors/calipers as well.

Also note that the caliper casting number in the back changed with later model GC8 WRX (and I'm sure the disc type changed when the casting number changed).

*If any info is incomplete or wrong please post in this thread so I can update this.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 10-14-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: updated info

User Info Menu

might have to check if the 98 rs had rear vented disc, cuz the wrx has them

User Info Menu

I should have posted I have only verified the brake and rotor info for the front. I have not verified it against the back.

All I know is Version 1 WRX has some kind of single caliper brakes in the back and the rotors must be smaller than the front.

User Info Menu

Have we found a match for the rears yet? I need to do the rears really soon as the rotors are grooved up pretty bad.
    08' Ford F150 Lariat Crewcab 4x4
    92 Toyota Aristo full Bippu=SOLD
    92 WRX... lots of mods=SOLD

User Info Menu

heh, well we'll know friday. I've ordeed Legacy Turbo brake rotors and pads. If they don't fit, I'm screwed!! Should be here on Friday, and I'll give you the haps.

User Info Menu

Cool, at least we know the fronts fit for sure. Keep us posted.
    08' Ford F150 Lariat Crewcab 4x4
    92 Toyota Aristo full Bippu=SOLD
    92 WRX... lots of mods=SOLD

User Info Menu

Well my brakes came in today, and for reference sake, this is what I got, and I'll report how they ended up!

* FRONT ROTORS: 10 57/64 inch diameter 2 15/64 inch overall height, vented
    * REAR ROTORS: 10 7/16 inch diameter 2 21/32 inch overall height, vented
    * LUG PATTERN: 5 X 3 15/16" (100mm)
    1994 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo

User Info Menu

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure the fronts will be fine (assuming STi Version 1 is still using the same 2-pot calipers as V1 WRX), but I'm not sure about the rears.

I have a new rotor for my front left that I have to put in, also for a 91-94 Turbo Legacy. I'm sure it will fit since the calipers from a 91-94 Turbo Legacy are exactly the same, right down to the casting number.

While you're at it, let us know the casting numbers on your front and rear calipers.

User Info Menu

Well, interesting story. Uh, so let me preface by saying I've never done brakes before.

My family was over for the evening last night, but left at 10:30, so I figured it would be a good time to learn about putting new pads and rotors on. I got the wheel off, and the caliper off and the pads out, but struggled to compress the pistons, I then decided to put it all back together, and struggled to get it back, so that the old rotor would fit between the pads etc. Disappointed and greasy, I came in and washed up and took a gander at this little thing the kids call the interwebs, and found out you can use a c-clamp to push each piston down.. oh well.

I'm going to see if my buddy can help me this weekend (or just straight out do it for me!

I may not have brains, but I do have balls!

User Info Menu

I use these to compress the Piston

They work like a charm..

:-)

Just squeeze.