Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1993 Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA

User Info Menu

I just thought I'd update this thread since everyone else is keeping us posted on their rides.

It's no surprise but I still couldn't be happier with this car. Since I got it just over 6 months ago it's been 100% reliable.

I just have to put on the new trunk and spoiler which have been sitting even before I got the car. I've been in a lot of newer cars and I wouldn't trade this car for anything, the new cars don't have the same charisma, performance or iconic feel of Version 1 Impreza WRX Type RA.

I don't plan on doing a whole lot to this car, I'm a big believer in keeping things relatively stock. I don't want to ruin the car that Subaru made, but the one thing I can't tolerate is the stock exhaust, so I'm hoping to find a GDB style STi muffler and add a cone style air filter.

One thing that is surprising, especially in the cold, the car rumbles very loud, yet quietly. It is a very low but loud/deep sound and I'm sure the car will scream with an exhaust. The sound of the turbo spooling constantly is awesome too, yet the engine noise isn't too much or too annoying.

User Info Menu

I've been considering a WRX as a first car option, along with a Skyline GTS-4. I want to run that deep bass exhaust note heard on most tuned GDB's, the only note possible with the Boxer engine. I suppose your Scooby is the place to get some ideas.

User Info Menu

I was looking at GTS-4, it's a great car, but I found it too small to be comfortable in. Also GTS-4 is not full time AWD, the ATTESA system is primarly RWD, but just sends power to the front after slippage.

WRX isn't a huge car inside either, but the bucket seats give me more head and leg room than I could ever need.

The engine especially in the cold is very loud with the stock exhaust. If I get even stock STi exhaust, it will be more than loud and boxerish enough

Feel free to ask any questions in the Impreza forum too.

User Info Menu

I just took the car out for a quick spin/errand. I really understand why scooby owners always talk about a smile on your face.

I hope no one thinks I'm bragging, I just love Impreza so much and it's been my favorite car since I was young, and I doubt this will change.

I hope I can be like whiteRAman, still keeping it real even in my later years!

User Info Menu

how does the I/C water spray work? Is it manually controlled? Can you stick up a pic of the nozzles and related hardware? Is it hard to wire this in as an upgrade?

User Info Menu

I'll try and get some pics in a few days. I'm not sure if any pics of my car on these forums will help.

I know a lot of people have added it, I don't think it is rocket science but it's probably beyond my abilities

I'm just guessing, but I guess it's just some kind of pressurized motor, when you hit the switch it activates the motor and sucks water through the small tube which literally dumps it onto the intercooler.

I guess the hardest part would be wiring it into your dash and figuring out the motor.

User Info Menu

I thought I'd update this, the car has been a blast and I've been driving it for nearly 2 years without any major problems and from 46K I've taken the car to about 85K (nearly 40,000 km in 2 years).

The paint was never 100% with this car and I knew that from the auction sheet. I got most parts shining quite well with Meguiar's, but the front left fender was repainted and it's starting to look bad as the primer is showing around the wheel arch.

The trim paint has peeled off from the rear passenger side and is looking very metallic (very common in our cars).

The trunk had rust on the lid but I bought an STi Version II trunk and spoiler/2.5 RS back in 2008 so that's not an issue.

The car does jerk at low RPMs and hesitate, I've replaced a bunch of parts with no resolution though

I had to replace the front right caliper, and the rest was just routine maintenance. The clutch was replaced last year (although I'm not happy with my Exedy, I have defective springs that make an annoying sound on deceleration).

I've ordered a datalogger cable so I can see what's going on with the car.
    I've ordered a 6K ECU to upgrade to the 275PS performance of the STi Version II RA.

I have the same style bodykit (copied FtGF lol) which is the Chargespeed kit with the solid/flat sideskirts. I'm going to have the fit fitted and repainted the same white color.

User Info Menu

Nice can't wait to see it. It's also okay that you copied me since your car and all the info from your posts are the inspiration I needed to get mine. Although mine's not as cool as an RA!
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight

User Info Menu

Thanks FtGF, I wanted to get the stock kit but I never found it. When I saw the kit you got, I knew it was the best.

Your car is awesome too, our cars are like cousins that have the same heritage but slightly different style . Your car has a stronger transmission than mine (even though RA is supposed to be stronger than WRX, I think your synchros are stronger).

If you upgrade your ECU, you'll basically have an STi II

User Info Menu

Ya I do plan on having this badboy at around 300bhp at least. The only thing that is killing my street-cred is no closed deck block.

Although if this engine should ever give up (knock on wood) I plan on committing what would seem to be sacrilege on this board and getting a USDM ej257 with a six-speed and creating a suby frankenstein. I just would love to have some chest-flattening torque out of that 2.5

Please don't ban me!
    95 WRX Sold
    96 ITR! Sacrificed to the deer gods
    02 WRX crashed
    98 Impreza RS DD

Fight the Good Fight