Thread: S14 Silvia's and rust problems?

User Info Menu

Default S14 Silvia's and rust problems?

I thought someone posted something about one of the S14 chassis being prone to rust (if it was 180SX and not Silvia someone correct me please) that is inside the body panels and that you can't see until the panels are removed.

Can someone provide more details about this? Is this a generally known issue or concern with this chassis?

It would be good to know if it is since I've never heard of anything like this.

User Info Menu

I've rarely seen a S13 or 14 with no rust on the strut towers.

User Info Menu

But R33 GTR's suffer with it badly..

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

I didn't know about this, do auction sheets normally mention this or is it left out because it is considered normal for these models?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I didn't know about this, do auction sheets normally mention this or is it left out because it is considered normal for these models?
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no.......

R32 GTR's suffer with rust under the body where the front jacking points are. This is normally due to damaged jacking points which is common on the R32. Some of them are a real mess in this area.

R33 GTR's suffer with rust on the front strut towers where seams join.

R33's across the board suffer with rust below the front windscreen in the corners where the very edge of the guard is. Water tends to sit there and the panel work there is exposed due to less paint from the factory.
    Then there is the boot rust from leaking tail lights.

All vehicles have a common weak point.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

Good info and I didn't realize this. Have you been able to source cars without these common rust issues, or is it fairly minor?

I agree, as you say every car has a weak spot or some kind of common problem. My only complaint about JDMs is that in general I think the jacking points on many models weren't thought out very well.

User Info Menu

most s14's and s13's suffer with a little bit of rust normally round the rear arch or sills, but thats why many people go for an import, UK roads have salt sprayd on the in the winter which is a right b'stard. but in jap land they never use salt.

i had 10 year old UK nissan (200sx) s14a on a 99 V-reg which had a fair bit of rust on one arch and a bit underneath.

ive now got a 18 year old JDM kps13 (nissal silvia) which is mint

JDM all the way for me