Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Import Saga

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Yes for sure they do, but getting them into the country legally is a different story. Some states can register them without questions, but it will never be 100% legal
    Can you explain that further? What is not legal about them? Can't you get a letter from the manufacturer stating that they meet the US emissions and crash standards?

Here's the response from the second importer to respond to me:

Right hand drive cars are not able to be imported without a letter from the manufacturer regarding fmvss 208 or crash data submitted to DOT. www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import

They have a hotline on this website if you have more questions.

User Info Menu

I think if you can get a letter like that (not sure how you would though), then it does become 100% legal in nearly any state.

I think if more people and RI's got together, most JDMs could be made legal and added to the NHTSA list. I know some of the JDM Accord's and Prelude's are 100% legal, some of the few on that exemption list.

It was all done by one company who opened a petition, if more RI's would do this, then it wouldn't be long before a large number of JDMs (at least ones with similar or exact same chassis) of most years would be allowed in.

I personally think there is a legal way, and at the very least the exemption of some JDMs on that list proves there is a way and that if one works as an RI with NHTSA it can be done for many other cars.

User Info Menu

Well, I sent a message to Subaru International basically stating that I was interested in owning one of their vehicles but my budget and requirements (mileage, rust etc) wouldn't allow me to buy either a used USDM vehicle (as they would be beat to hell, rusted beyond repair or have super high mileage) I praised the performance and safety of their vehicles whether USDM or JDM and asked them to send me a letter certifying that their JDM Impreza's had the same safety features as their USDM ones. We'll see if I even get a response... they said 1-2 business days. *crosses fingers*

User Info Menu

Hopefully they're more helpful than Subaru of Canada. They were as knowledgeable and helpful as the average Canadian Subaru dealership

They would not help me get in contact with Subaru of Japan or pass on my questions at all.

User Info Menu

Thank you for your e-mail about Subaru products of the Japanese domestic market (JDM). Subaru of America is the importer of Subaru vehicles for the United States only.

Each country has its own Subaru Headquarters which deals with inquiries for Subaru vehicles in that country. The products that are manufactured for countries outside of the U.S. do not have the same specifications as U.S. Subaru products. We are only able to handle inquiries that arise in the U.S because of this.

You will need to contact Japan customs for additional information concerning FMVSS standards. Some websites that might be helpful:

Domestic Subaru distributor in Japan is:

http://www.subaru.co.jp/

Please contact them or a local Subaru dealer in Japan for some additional information.

I also located a website for importing cars into the U.S., it might be helpful.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Meh. Pretty useless. I e-mailed back asking if they had a contact e-mail for the Japanese branch... because the entire Japanese Subaru website is written in ... well ... Japanese lol, which I don't speak. I'm guessing I'll be getting zero love.

User Info Menu

They were more polite and slightly more helpful with you compared to Subaru of Canada.

That's been my trouble too, I can't find any English contact from the Japan side of car manufacturers.

If someone speaks Japanese and were to pursue this, who knows what we could find. It's also hard to say if the manufacturers will see this as a threat to their new cars and be difficult about it though.

User Info Menu

Proof it can be done...
    Last edited by jdmvip; 09-01-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: fix pic

User Info Menu

is that your certificate IronRaven?

User Info Menu

Nope, it's the guy I've been chatting with. I wish it was mine, I'd take a RHD EG6 lol. I think he got it done by the following method:

1. The car was in Canada and had a Canadian title.
    2. The RI brought the car over the border for him.
    3. His state issues title bonds.
    4. A patient cooperative DMV.

User Info Menu

Ironraven but what does that pic prove? I'm not familiar with any of the US paperwork.

I read on some different forums and BLOGs that some JDM owners in the US are worried that their cars will be tracked and seized.

It seems there are some who definitely don't have their cars imported the right way. It sounds like NHTSA/DOT is tracking down cars based on the JDM style VINs.

But I've heard something like you've said, something about if you have a title and bond release from EPA/DOT (or something like that) then the car is truly legal and certified.