Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Import Saga

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default My Import Saga

Well, I've decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I have sufficient funds saved up (I think) and I have the car I want picked out and have begun making contact with others who have the experience, government offices etc etc etc. It is my solemn intent to keep this thread updated with 100% of the information I glean from my experience in an effort to facilitate the process for anyone else who wants to attempt the same thing. So far I have the following:

1. Biggest stumbling block overcome... approval from the wife
    2. Basic info on US importing rules.
    a. Must have in writing from the manufacturer that this vehicle meets FMVSS standards (ie it must be on a govt approved sticker on the driver's side door jam) or else have an RI certify that it does.
    b. Must have in writing from the manufacturer that this vehicle meets US emissions standards or have an RI certify that it does.
    c. Generic information about using a title bond to accomplish the above, but nothing specific to my state.
    3. The car I'm interested in. While initially I wanted an EVOIII I have looked into them and don't think I'd be able to ever get the car certified in the USA just based on the requirements so I'm going with a 1994 Impreza RA.

Here are the rules I know of and my status so far:

(a) All passenger cars less than 25 years old that were manufactured
    before September 1, 1989;

Nope, therefore:

(b) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 1989,
    and before September 1, 1996, that, as originally manufactured, are
    equipped with an automatic restraint system that complies with
    Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 208;

I know it meets this standard, but proving it is the problem.

(c) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 1996,
    and before September 1, 2002, that, as originally manufactured, are
    FMVSS No. 208, and that comply with FMVSS No. 214;
    (d) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 2002,
    and before September 1, 2007, that, as originally manufactured, are
    FMVSS No. 208, and that comply with FMVSS Nos. 201, 214, 225,
    and 401;
    NHTSA-2007-28692
    (e) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 2007,
    and before September 1, 2008, that, as originally manufactured,
    comply with FMVSS Nos. 110, 118, 138, 201, 208, 213, 214, 225,
    and 401;
    NHTSA-2007-28692
    (f) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 2008
    and before September 1, 2011 that, as originally manufactured,
    comply with FMVSS Nos. 110, 118, 138, 201, 202a, 206, 208, 213,
    214, 225, and 401;
    NHTSA-2007-28692
    VSA-80
    (g) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 2011
    and before September 1, 2012 that, as originally manufactured,
    comply with FMVSS Nos. 110, 118, 126, 138, 201, 202a, 206, 208,
    213, 214, 225, and 401.

n/a

So I'm armed with a list of RI's
    http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...list120508.pdf

A couple phone numbers, some e-mail addresses and the allmighty power of Google... wish me luck guys ' gals I'm going into the breach!

User Info Menu

wow, fantastic. I'm looking forward to hearing from you how this goes, and it's good to have the community support, as if this doesn't go well, I'm sure someone in Canada will help you out to take it off your hands if it doesn't work.

If it does work, that will be most excellent!!!! You'll be one of the EXTREME few driving a JDM WRX!! imagine the Envy of the subie brothers south of the border!

User Info Menu

Oh, I'll absolutely be keeping this thread updated. I'm hoping to get the one Braveauto has listed on their site but I might not get my shit together before it sells... we'll see!

User Info Menu

Hate to be negative, but you won't legally get a newer than 25 year old vehicle to the US. Many have tried, many have failed. There are loop holes, but none that are 100% legal. Believe me I have looked into it. Would be nice to sell to a crowd of 300 million rather than 30 million.....

My ex business partner is in Florida sending cars to Japan from the US now but initially went there to import Japanese cars to the states. Tried / talked to everyone with no result.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Hate to be negative, but you won't legally get a newer than 25 year old vehicle to the US. Many have tried, many have failed. There are loop holes, but none that are 100% legal. Believe me I have looked into it. Would be nice to sell to a crowd of 300 million rather than 30 million.....

My ex business partner is in Florida sending cars to Japan from the US now but initially went there to import Japanese cars to the states. Tried / talked to everyone with no result.
    You may be right... but here's a title bond and a legal US inspection for a 1992 Civic titled under the 10 digit VIN... so I'd say it's worth a shot!

User Info Menu

Hmmm, I keep hearing so many contradicting stories and info. William, do you think it's possible that some states have different policies and that's how some cars are on the road very easily?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Hmmm, I keep hearing so many contradicting stories and info. William, do you think it's possible that some states have different policies and that's how some cars are on the road very easily?
    I don't think the process is EVER easy. I think it's difficult on purpose and that's probably why companies don't have success importing thousands of cars. I know for a fact different states have different registration laws, but there should be national standards too...

I have e-mailed a half dozen RI's and have yet to hear back from any of them. Hmmmm....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Yes for sure they do, but getting them into the country legally is a different story. Some states can register them without questions, but it will never be 100% legal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Yes for sure they do, but getting them into the country legally is a different story. Some states can register them without questions, but it will never be 100% legal
    Can you explain that further? What is not legal about them? Can't you get a letter from the manufacturer stating that they meet the US emissions and crash standards?

Here's the response from the second importer to respond to me:

Right hand drive cars are not able to be imported without a letter from the manufacturer regarding fmvss 208 or crash data submitted to DOT. www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import

They have a hotline on this website if you have more questions.

User Info Menu

Oh, additionally I'm not trying to do this as a business; I just want a vehicle for my own personal use. I can see how it might be more difficult for someone to make a business importing thousands of JDM rides a year but I think it's possible for individuals to do so in a legal and legit fashion. You just have to have the patience and perseverance. Hopefully