Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Import Saga

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Ironraven but what does that pic prove? I'm not familiar with any of the US paperwork.

I read on some different forums and BLOGs that some JDM owners in the US are worried that their cars will be tracked and seized.

It seems there are some who definitely don't have their cars imported the right way. It sounds like NHTSA/DOT is tracking down cars based on the JDM style VINs.

But I've heard something like you've said, something about if you have a title and bond release from EPA/DOT (or something like that) then the car is truly legal and certified.
    It's proof that a JDM 10 digit VIN can be registered on a US title. It obviously takes a good chunk of time though. Look at the date purchased of 10/07/2008 and the date accepted of 02/13/2009 but the title wasn't issued until 08/25/2009.

Since this guy got a title bond I think his car won't be subject to seizure... basically it's a guarantee from a company that the car is legit, meets safety standards and hasn't been stolen in another country. Or at least that's what I understand it does.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if this is helpful but I found this site by accident and it has links to RIs who import vehicles that seem to be less than 25 years old.

http://www.buyclassiccars.com/import.asp

I hope it helps.

User Info Menu

We are in the same boat Ironraven!

I too have done hours upon hours of research, emails, forums, etc etc. I have found dozens of exporters and a few importers here in the US.

when you get your car are you trying to register it for street legal use? where are you located?

I am looking for a jdm 89-91 ef9 siR (over 15 yo & under 25) and I do not care about registering it. It will be my track/show car. Registration Im going to worry about later.

Now I have Importers here in the US that can find me my car and import etc etc. but I want to cut out the middle men and get in contact with a legit exporter and begin the process. I can get the car shipped to any dock/port by my location from an export. the only problem is of course getting it past customs. Importing companies get cars through in containers all the time. I believe this is because they have a Agent that deals with the Customs. (Im figuring out from my importers if this is a RI.) Hopefully not and hopefully we can find these agents.

Something is missing though. I am contacting my importers and Im going to find out how the hell they get it through customs. Because that seems to be the only thing preventing me from getting my car.

Let me know what you thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ironraven View Post
    It's proof that a JDM 10 digit VIN can be registered on a US title. It obviously takes a good chunk of time though. Look at the date purchased of 10/07/2008 and the date accepted of 02/13/2009 but the title wasn't issued until 08/25/2009.

Since this guy got a title bond I think his car won't be subject to seizure... basically it's a guarantee from a company that the car is legit, meets safety standards and hasn't been stolen in another country. Or at least that's what I understand it does.
    That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up.

User Info Menu

Good to have you here Sirox. Keep posting the information you find and hopefully by the end of it we'll have all the info here about JDM cars in the USA.

User Info Menu

^^ Thankyou sir.

my post is in the "American import Laws"

got confused
    Last edited by sirox; 09-12-2009 at 03:23 AM. Reason: messed up on post

User Info Menu

So Ironraven,

What is your update? Have you decided on exporters? what about importers? any new info? where are you stumped?

Btw what is your location?

User Info Menu

I've been following this thread as an outsider now im Inside. I believe all three of us are on the same quest, only mines may be a little more intense seeing is how i live in California.

I've emailed all those importers from that list at the beginning of this month and still haven't heard anything yet from them.

Ironraven, At least you got an email in response, did they ever respond to your reply to them about helping you get those crash test documents cleared or even tracking them down at all

Sirox, I see you're on the wild goose chase as well. Well Good thing is i believe in strength in numbers. Someone soon enough will pull the cat out the bag and it'll help a world of us.

So far im at the typical stump, tracing down who has imported the car im looking for and finding out who they went through and how they got those documents also how they passed through customs. I want to eliminate the Middle man, my main goal.

The car i'm interested in importing is a Japanese Integra Type-R for road use and occasional track use. The insurance thing doesn't scare me much, just my lack of knowledge about hook-ups and agents who can bypass customs.

Also a 93 Integra 4 Sedan (DB1),

We just need to open this door just enough to wedge it and let some information free. Anyways. I'll be making some calls tomorrow to importers who import nose cuts and half cuts just to see where they got stumped at and why they only import half cars, maybe they have gotten an inch of two further than us with that information. I will post my updates as well.

User Info Menu

I stumbled upon this article which i thought had a lot of useful and direct information or loopholes and legit ways of doing it. At least into the U.S. but im sure if you can import a car into the u.s. this way you may be able to do it anywhere. I doubt this method is primarily for Honda's but maybe for all cars.

Read all 4 pages.

dub dub dub u .hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0505_jdm_importing/index.html

User Info Menu

Good to have you here Neverek, let's all keep posting what we find and sort through myth vs fact.

On any forum with JDMs in the US, no one ever talks about it. I've even PM'd people on this forum and others in the US asking questions, and they never answer.