Thread: Some thoughts on driving a BG5 GT-B for 100000km

User Info Menu

Default Some thoughts on driving a BG5 GT-B for 100000km

So, when I first picked up my car in August 2014 it had 100512km on the clock, and it was a perfectly capable car that I knew at the outset would require maintenance to keep on the road. The other day I witnessed the odometer tick over to 200512. For those wondering, how much work it is to maintain and operate one of these, here is a list of work that I've had to do.

-Radiator - Twice. The end tanks on the factory rad failed, then the replacement I ordered from Blitz failed. I've had a Mishimoto rad in since and had zero issues with that for the last 6 years -Cost ~600 each time
    -Brakes - Twice. Replaced the rotors and pads, and front calipers twice in 8 years. The front calipers tend to suffer from seizing the lower piston unless driven regularly, my car was essentially parked for a couple years while I rebuilt the motor. -Cost ~500 each time
    -Motor - I managed to get the car to 180000km before I absolutely had to rebuild it. The head gaskets failed, leading to misfires and poor running, so there's that. I've got another thread about the engine build. -Cost ~12k when the dust settled, but I did more than just basics. I include the following costs in the motor build.
    -Custom exhaust from Hayward and Scott ~2600
    -Manley forged internals ~1500
    -ACL-Orbit 12mm oil pump ~300
    -Enduring Solutions standalone conversion ~1000
    -STi timing/water pump kit ~400
    -Exedy Hyper Single clutch ~2600
    -Machining work ~1000
    -Ceramic coatings on the turbine housings ~1200
    -Other misc costs like gauges etc.

Speaking of the motor, it is an absolute beast of a car now, and is actually a bit frightening to drive in the winter, even with studded winters. Looks wise, it's almost invisible to the police, and it's incredibly fun to get the jump on whistling diesel guys from a stop light. It only really gets attention from other car folks, and isn't often noticed as unusual by the general public with the exception of being RHD.

I keep meticulous fuel cost records and it does get better fuel economy now than it ever did, despite the larger injectors. Average econ went from about 12.5L/100km to around 10.6L/100km. Even with my admittedly heavy foot.

Overall, 10/10, would recommend, despite the costs and downtime I've experienced. My son is almost able to get his learners permit now and he's been hinting that he would like a JDM Forrester, which I'm not opposed to.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

User Info Menu

This is what I aspire for. My GTB (BG5) is out at the moment. Code 66, I made a new thread explaining and asking a few questions Id appreciate any knowledge you have on said questions?