Thread: Importing a Japanese Car into Manitoba: Step-by-Step Process with Timeline

User Info Menu

Default Importing a Japanese Car into Manitoba: Step-by-Step Process with Timeline

1. Import & Payment (End of August): Imported the car and completed the associated payment.

2. Receive BOL (End of September): Obtained the necessary BOL documentation three days after shipping.

3. Document Forwarding (October 18): Sent the Arrival notice, pickup instructions, and in bond, which were received from the port agency (WWS), to the shipping agency (Monte Ship).

4. Verify Steamship Release (October 18): Confirmed the receipt of the Steamship release from the shipping agency to the port agency via phone.

5. Prepare Documents (October 18): Got the BOL, Export certification (in English and Japanese), Invoice, and 2 copies of In bond ready.

6. Tax Office Visit (October 18): Visited the tax office and filled out Form 1 with guidance provided on-site.

7. Tax Payment (October 18): Submitted all documents and paid the due tax.

8. Receive In bond Stamp (October 18): Obtained the release stamp on the in bond after the tax payment.

9. Send Documents to Port Agency (October 18): Forwarded the stamped in bond to the port agency and e-transferred the Terminal fee of $225 to WWS.

10. Temporary Plate Generation (Planned for October 19): Will communicate with Autopac over the phone. Designated Autopac as the representative to interact with MPI on my behalf.

11. Request Pickup Schedule (October 18): Requested the final car pickup schedule from the port agency.

12. Confirm Pickup Date (October 18): Received an email confirming the pickup date for October 20.

13. Arrange Towing (October 18): Since direct pickup is not possible, arranged for a towing company to get a quote to tow to the nearest gas station from the port.

Note: The vehicle arrived in Vancouver on the evening of October 17. The process is straightforward and not as complicated as one might think.

User Info Menu

This is great.

How long from docking until WWS sent the in-bond/advice notice? My car was on the Gemini Leader V.005 that just docked a few days ago. Nothing from WWS yet. But maybe I'm being needlessly paranoid. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Few days

Hey, my car arrived on the 14th, and I received the in-bond around the 17th or 18th. It seems to typically take 3-4 business days. Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

You can call port agency to clarify. I did multiple call to figure it out and this would be fast and accurate.