Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro's and Con's of Right Hand Drive Cars

User Info Menu

Unhappy Pro's and Con's of Right Hand Drive Cars

I'm wanting to import a Nissan Silvia S13.5 from Japan, i figured out all the prices and conditions and its all cheaper then buying here (Sask,Canada) and im only 16 so my mom is buying and she agreed up to the part of the Right Hand Drive Part, so i am asking, what are the Pros and Cons of RHD car?

~~S13.5

User Info Menu

Honestly, the only con is left turns, and other things that would be easier in a LHD car. All that matters really is if you aren't sure, don't go. As far as a kid having an S13, or other two door sporty car, I never agreed with it, not until you had some more experience under your belt, buuuuut I'm not your mom, so it's all good.

User Info Menu

Where are you located in Sask? You must have seen some RHD vehicles around, and there are importers around that might be able to take you on a test drive to see how confident you are in driving one. I think that would be better than jumping in and buying one if your not sure you will be comfortable driving on the right side.

User Info Menu

I just moved this to the Canada section since the OP is from SK.
    Do you mean the pros and cons in general of buying a JDM RHD car from Japan or simply just driving position of RHD vs LHD?

For driving position the only negative part is as some others said, left turns are not as easy. One thing I'll say about that is usually when I can't see as the driver on the RHS (Right Hand Side new acronym lol), my wife as a passenger can't see being on the LHS. So the whole situation of being on the RHS vs LHS for left turns to me is not a big deal, most of the time the design of the intersection or position of other cars turning left makes it impossible to see if traffic is coming even in an LHD car (anyone who has been to the Vancouver area should know what I mean about our poor roads and intersections).

The only real con I find is that when you're going through pay parking you have to get out unless you have a passenger. Going through drive thru's is not a big deal if you have a longer reach and pull up close.

The pros of being on the right hand side side are that you can drive more safely at night and in low visibility situations because oncoming traffic does not blind you as much. You can also see pedestrians better when making a right turn and when driving downtown or tight traffic I feel safer in RHD because I have a better view.

The pros of importing a JDM car from Japan are that you get to be ub3r cool with the rest of the JDM owners from Canada in this forum

The other benefits are that you can get good quality and low mileage vehicles for a good price, and they can be a real bargain if you're looking for performance, especially models that were never available in Canada.

Good luck with the car and let us know how it goes and post any questions you have in a new thread and someone will know the answer.

markmiller Guest

i have tried right hand drive car. Honestly its hard to for me to drive especially turning left. I'm out of control.

jdmvip edit - the company in Ontario called "stricklandautosales.com" pays to spamvertise forums using bots.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 09-30-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: SPAM

User Info Menu

Three weeks ago I had never driven an RHD car. I learned in 15 minutes. I've been totally comfortable ever since. At night time it's slightly more difficult to judge the distance of my leftside front bumper. I would buy another RHD vehicle in a heartbeat!

User Info Menu

I've yet to see anyone who could not handle the right hand drive factor itself after a few hours of driving.

User Info Menu

I can't go back to left!!

:P

But I do prefer driving on the right side.

User Info Menu

Ok for anyone that is still watching this Thread... thank you.. and i got it had it for about 2weeks now and i can drive awesome right side (Griffinpwr) i agree with you cant drive left anymore tried driving my moms car cant but i have to go in to McDicks(McDonalds) i can go threw drive threw hahaha... thanks everyone!

Silvia S13 Baby~

User Info Menu

5+ year bump FTW, OP are you still around and sorry we all missed your followup!
    A lot of people found this thread useful and with just 2 posts I wonder what you're up to and if you still have a JDM?

After 6.5 years of RHD driving I still love it and find a lot of advantages with the JDM position and haven't lost my passion or interest .