Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JDM Subaru Impreza WRX General Maintenance Guide

User Info Menu

How hard was it to get the differential drain plugs off?
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

Sometimes they can be PITA.
    Spray some PBblaster or Aerokroil before you do.
    1/2 Inch extension + HD ratchet with cheater pipe works for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eastfreestyler View Post
    Sometimes they can be PITA.
    Spray some PBblaster or Aerokroil before you do.
    1/2 Inch extension + HD ratchet with cheater pipe works for me.
    True. Mine was fine with just a 1/2 ratchet. But torque to 36lbs as req by subaru. But on some anti-sieze or thread wrap if you want when tightening back up, such easy maintenance.
    97 TYPE R STI

User Info Menu

What have people been using for air filters?

User Info Menu

With my stock air box I used Wix air filters as was suggested to my by Vex Performance. I currently am using my apex-i however.

User Info Menu

tagged for interest. Thanks, this is going to come in handy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sirhc View Post
    Bumping this up. Just did my rear diff and tranny. Trans-3.8L Redline Lightweight Shockproof, got rid of my second gear minor grind and everything is way smoother transition. Diff- 0.8L Motul Gear 300 75w90.
    For those reading this thread and about to pour regular gear oil into your STI differential... DON'T! STIs use a clutch-type limited-slip differential and won't do much limited-slipping if you use regular gear oil. Use a LSD-specific oil, such as the OEM Subaru stuff.

I'm not sure if WRXs came with LSDs, but the STIs sure do.

Subaru used clutch-type LSDs in all LSD diffs until about MY2000, then switched to the current viscous type (which don't much care what oil you put in them).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tenthousandfeet View Post
    For those reading this thread and about to pour regular gear oil into your STI differential... DON'T! STIs use a clutch-type limited-slip differential and won't do much limited-slipping if you use regular gear oil. Use a LSD-specific oil, such as the OEM Subaru stuff.

I'm not sure if WRXs came with LSDs, but the STIs sure do.

Subaru used clutch-type LSDs in all LSD diffs until about MY2000, then switched to the current viscous type (which don't much care what oil you put in them).
    You can use any gear oil in there as long as you put in the LSD additive. I would stay away from synthetic gear oils though they are to slipper for the syncros.

User Info Menu

Now how do I change the rear diff's oil? I took a quick peek and didn't notice any drain bolt or refill spot.

User Info Menu

the rear diff is just drained using the bottom bolt with the square head on it. Fits a regular ratchet - I'd think it's 1/2 inch? the top bolt is for filling. You can use a tube,a pump or a turkey baster!