Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning for JDM Subaru Impreza WRX owners

User Info Menu

Hey yogibear1976, welcome to our site and the JDM WRX family
    I know of people in Alberta who must be running their cars on 91 octane and I haven't heard of any issues.

Our engines are EJ20G (assuming you're getting an early model WRX 1992-1996) and they are tuned, but not as well as later models (EJ20K) that often suffer failure due to detonation.

I would be sure not to tune or up the boost with only 91 octane though.
    Please post some pics of your car too

User Info Menu

91 is fine so far with me
    i rotate between 94 sometimes since its such a hassle to get

User Info Menu

I feel lucky here in the Vancouver area 94 is easy to find at any Chevron. I would never go less than 94, although I do believe 91 or 92 should be OK.

For some newer model STi's, or even Version 1 STi with extra boost I may be a little nervous to run less though.

User Info Menu

Jeez. 91? 94? Thankfully I live near a Petro-Can, an Esso AND a Chevron within 20 minutes walking of my house... At least if I end up in a WRX, I won't be boosting up.

User Info Menu

It seems the consensus that 91 octane is fine, I've never heard of any problems on 91, except for someone who had like 21 PSI of boost in the US.

If you up the boost I'd be very nervous running on 91. I choose Chevron 94 because it's not much more than 91 and you know you're getting the best and won't ever get detonation.

User Info Menu

Default 91 vs 94

I have been running 94 chevron and 94 mohawk since June.

Ran 91 once to get back from tofino to vancouver... it ran fine.

The car knocked a bit when I got it, but that was summer time, and the serious knock was after the intercooler got heat soaked, sitting when hot for a few minutes.

I am tempted to start running 91 and see what happens, for the cost savings.

User Info Menu

You shouldn't be getting any knocking on 91 from what I've heard with other owners. Do you have any modifications?

If you're sure you have stock boost and no serious mods, it should be fine. I just like to play it safe and don't mind paying a few cents more for 94 though.

User Info Menu

Update:

I have been running 91 and 92 for the past 4 or 5 tanks. No problems.

Going to start using 94 Petro Canada and see if that gets better mileage than chevron.

I have also read on nasioc that the ethanol blend in so many gas types available here is not good for these cars - seals and rubber parts in the fuel system may not have been intended to be used with ethanol and may degrade. Anyone ever heard of this?

User Info Menu

I've read on a lot of places that ethanol blends are bad for older cars in general. I have no way of knowing and I don't think anyone can prove either way but I would always stay away from ethanol from now.

The reason is because it wasn't present in older fuels that our cars would have been running.

User Info Menu

hi all,
    I have a red top ej20kdw and have been running it on 97 ron for a year, and done nearly 2000 miles .the car starts first time and i dont seem to have any problems.