Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning for JDM Subaru Impreza WRX owners

User Info Menu

Default Warning for JDM Subaru Impreza WRX owners

I've been told by different sources that the EJ20G engines our cars have are tuned for something like 100 Octane from Japan.

Obviously even using 94 octane would not be enough and could cause severe detonation and engine failure ultimately.

I've been told if you see gray smoke the game is over.

Just a word of caution, however there is a lot of mixed reports and information about this.

I've tried to contact someone who got their JDM WRX last November to ask how it's been doing but I haven't heard anything back just yet to hear first hand if this is likely to be an issue.

It's unfortunate that as far as I know there aren't too many Subaru tuning experts in Canada, unlike the UK and Aussie scene.

I guess the best way to play it safe is to listen for any kind of pinging during acceleration and to avoid WOT and higher RPMs.

Hope someone finds this useful.

User Info Menu

I found new info for someone who says they know JDM WRX owners driving fine on 93 MON octane:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1475110

And also since the 100 RON from Japan is roughly equivalent according to this poster and wikipedia it seems if you run 94 Octane all should fine.

I guess I'll find out in 2 months or so

User Info Menu

The 100 RON was made available for sale in the late 90's, AFAIK. So 94 or whatever (93 at some stations) should work fine.

People have been swapping in wrx motors brought in from japan for anumber of years, I don't think gas availability over here is top on their list of concerns.

User Info Menu

Hey random1
    Yes, I agree it's much more obvious and finally this rumour has been confirmed false and put to rest.

At least it's one last thing I have to do to the WRX to get it on the road.

I still have to figure out the DRL solution since most kits aren't Subaru compatible

User Info Menu

iff you fuel is 93 ron i would be putting some booster in it.

from what ive found out over the last few years 100ron fuel did not come out in japan untill 97/98. before that there fuel was 96 ron ....(i will dig alittle deeper for yous guys)

watch this space

User Info Menu

Our fuel is measured in MON so basically 94 MON Octane that we have should equal about 100 RON.

So in this case do you think 92 MON should be more than enough?

If what you say is true then 92 MON octane here should be just fine, maybe even 91.

User Info Menu

92 should be fine..but i would keep a bottle off octain booster in you boot/trunk just incass you have to fill up with crap fuel sometime....

ive got some1 in japan on the case.

User Info Menu

That's very interesting but I'll definitely keep a few bottles of octane booster if I ever hear any pinging at all just in case I get a bad batch of gas.

Good info btw and fortunately I have a lot of Chevron gas stations nearby and they all have 92 & 94 octane and they're known to have some of the best gas

User Info Menu

just like with the oil ..feed her the best you can get

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried running 91 octane? I'll be getting my WRX in the next couple of weeks, and I don't live near a gas station with anything higher than 91...