Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru Select Monitor/Data Logger Cable for EJ20G

User Info Menu

Hey JdmVip that place should be near you, they are in Vancouver, You should give them ur Wrx to test a chip tuned for our cars so I can buy it from Quebec

User Info Menu

Guys I'm trying to figure this out, it may be as simple as I think. I opened up an RS232 Serial cable and inside there are 4 wires, can someone help me figure this out.

1.) Black Wire (must be the ground).
    2.) Red Wire (must be the 5V power).
    3.) White Wire (is the transmit or receive)
    4.) Gold Wire (is this transmit or receive).

It's just a matter of figuring out the order of 3 and 4, which one is for receive and which one is for transmit. Then it's just a matter of connecting it to the corresponding 4 pins on the data connector for the Subaru port.

Any help would be appreciated, or maybe I should just play around and see if I'm on the right track.

User Info Menu

Not bad, I need some good weather to properly log though. here's what it will log for now: Speed in hh;mm;ss, vehicle speed in mph coolant temp in F TPS voltage and MAF voltage, spark advance in deg BTDC Oxygen sensor in mV Engine load in percent, RPM and manifold pressure in psig

I don't really know what to do with the info yet, and haven't done a good logging, but I should be able to find time to try this out a bit more. I really need a dry, clean road for a good comparison between the STi and WRX.
    I can say that in this ice/snow without pushing her hard I was 0-60 Mph in just under 9 seconds -I know it should be around 6, but with Ice, and only one run, with that not being my aim, I figured that was pretty alright. I also only took the engine up to 6300RPM twice in the run. 3rd gear at 6350RPM was 62mph

Well, enough of that now..

User Info Menu

You should 1st try to gas with 91 octane reset your ecu and monitor the advance/retard timing with a full tank, and see where it stands, then see if there is a difference with 94, fill it, reset your ecu and monitor the ignition timing, to see if we need 94 or 91. Coulds be a good test, and for comparaison purpose you should write down these numbers with the octane gas you are using, and keep the paper, one day if you get into trouble with a sensor on your engine, you could compare some values and check if something has changed , It can be a powerfull troubleshooting tool, since we dont have precise engine codes. Can u monitor the spark on each cylinder lets say to see if we get some misfires on a precice cylinder?
    Last edited by jdmwrx94; 01-06-2010 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Guys I'm trying to figure this out, it may be as simple as I think. I opened up an RS232 Serial cable and inside there are 4 wires, can someone help me figure this out.

1.) Black Wire (must be the ground).
    2.) Red Wire (must be the 5V power).
    3.) White Wire (is the transmit or receive)
    4.) Gold Wire (is this transmit or receive).

It's just a matter of figuring out the order of 3 and 4, which one is for receive and which one is for transmit. Then it's just a matter of connecting it to the corresponding 4 pins on the data connector for the Subaru port.

Any help would be appreciated, or maybe I should just play around and see if I'm on the right track.

Here JdmVip, I did not read the whole thing, but there is a lot of info on this site, it was intended for SVX, but who knows, It's all the same thing

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/sma.html

User Info Menu

And these are Programs some has to be bought tho, but might be interesting,

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/software.html

Some can monitor the maf, map, injectors pulse too and maybe more

User Info Menu

woah! great find! Download ROM even. hmm

User Info Menu

That's interesting, I've downloaded some of those programs before but I won't be able to do much without my cable.

Thanks for the info Soren, this cable is well worth the money and can probably save a lot of money for people like me who've replaced parts without being sure of the true problem.

I'm just trying to find the Subaru connector and I'll see if my plan to make the cable works out.

If not I'll just order the same one. How long did your cable take to arrive?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmwrx94 View Post
    You should 1st try to gas with 91 octane reset your ecu and monitor the advance/retard timing with a full tank, and see where it stands, then see if there is a difference with 94, fill it, reset your ecu and monitor the ignition timing, to see if we need 94 or 91. Coulds be a good test, and for comparaison purpose you should write down these numbers with the octane gas you are using, and keep the paper, one day if you get into trouble with a sensor on your engine, you could compare some values and check if something has changed , It can be a powerfull troubleshooting tool, since we dont have precise engine codes. Can u monitor the spark on each cylinder lets say to see if we get some misfires on a precice cylinder?
    +1 that's a very good idea, I like your way of thinking. We should all get cables and post our logs here so we can compare, it will also help troubleshoot problems once we get used to the normal readings and understand what each one means and how they are effected.

User Info Menu

Yes - these are great ideas. A couple things to note though, the early Subies didn't monitor/output many fields of data, and it's a guess as to what they might be sometimes. The only other field that was mentioned to me was knock correction, or knock sensor, and that will be added at some point to REvscan.

Also - I can't really get 94 here (not good 94 anyways)