Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ST205 who can afford a 14 hour clutch job?

User Info Menu

Default ST205 who can afford a 14 hour clutch job?

I was reading somewhere that a clutch job takes 14 hours of labor on this car. I'm glad it was mentioned by someone and it would make me want to stay away from one of these cars unless the mileage was very low and the clutch was proven to be in good shape.

Why does it take so long to do a clutch job? You could probably replace the engine in less time!

IMHO this is one thing that makes owning one of these cars a bit impractical unless you're very well off and don't mind paying that much to have the clutch done.

User Info Menu

I hear that is the book cost.
    I know that is can be done in less but if you go to a shop to get it done, that is what they will charge.

I still love the car and I wouldn't mind putting in a heavy duty one once the stock one requires replacement.

User Info Menu

ya.. its pretyt crazy.. this is why i wouldnt own one either..

also it feels like a boat compared to a WRX or Evo..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dah_hunter View Post
    ya.. its pretyt crazy.. this is why i wouldnt own one either..

also it feels like a boat compared to a WRX or Evo..
    14 hours wow.. hmm mines got 120k and feels perfect, hopefully it has been changed

how long would the factory clutch usually last until it started slipping even a little?

User Info Menu

it's a big job considering it has a transverse-mounted engine unlike RWD vehicles... pulling out the front drive-axles is extra work.

the brakes, drivetrain & turbo components weigh as much as 3 male adults (~485 lbs) but like most toyotas of the early 90s, they're known for their solid (over-engineered) drivetrain.. most commonly known by off-road enthusiasts. plus the rear hatch window is another huge contributor to the hefty weight of these celicas.
    Last edited by azian_advanced; 01-10-2010 at 09:53 PM.

User Info Menu

my GT-S is at 148,000 kms and still riding on the stock clutch. it really only slipped on me twice but still has plenty of life left.

User Info Menu

Hmmm but isn't that a USDM model with no AWD no turbo?

User Info Menu

actually it's CDM (canadian.. ), but close enough.. i know it's not an st205.. but i DO have the gt-four wrc conversion hood, bumper, fenders, spoiler and tons of other stuff.

User Info Menu

Isn't the evo an east west engine setup like the gt fours? What's the book time on changing the clutch in one of those?
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Im going to be putting a Stage 2 clutch in my Track evo soon.. i will let you know.. Check my Thread under Evos..