Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of Transmission Dipstick

User Info Menu

Default Location of Transmission Dipstick

Thanks to wrxTypeRA for telling us:

looking down on the engine the dipstick will be to the left off the intercooler
    You'll probably want to check your level and change the fluid ASAP just to protect the longevity of the transmission.

User Info Menu

Transmition dipstick.jpg
    Thought I would get a picture of the dipstick for you guys since I had my intercooler off.

User Info Menu

Good pic Farva, is all that oil from when you took the intercooler off or is the I/C hose leaking? I hear it is common to break down and I'm looking for the part# for it.

User Info Menu

The oil is from me not waiting for the fluid level in my funnel to drop before adding more fluid when I was filling my tranny. My guess is you will have one hell of a time finding the plastic tube that goes from the turbo to the I/C. Reason being I am pretty sure they change the design up on the newer WRX's so you will have to find a JDM one. I am going to solve that issue by putting in a front mount I/C.

User Info Menu

I agree Farva, I know the USDM GDA WRX intercooler hoses are totally different.

I hope someone can track down an easy source to order a replacement hose, just in case. Or maybe someone can have a bunch custome fabricated and make money by selling them to members here.

User Info Menu

Does there really have to be a sticky for this lol.....
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Just wondering what is the proper way to check the gear oil on a manual transmission such as these... Does the car have to be running/in neutral to check? Does it matter?

User Info Menu

I think it's the same as any vehicle, drive the car and get it up to temperature and then pull into a gas station (flat surface) and check the level. I always have my car off when checking and it's been accurate (I don't think the car should be running).

You also fill the transmission through the dipstick.

User Info Menu

Does the intercooler need to come off to do this?
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

Pretty sure you don't need to remove the intercooler. Come at it from the driver side and look down below the intercooler. Just get a really long funnel!