Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How To Change Transmission Fluid

User Info Menu

Well, I just wasted 20 minutes fighting with the goddamn transmission drain plug.. I'm using a big 1/2" drive torque wrench with a perfectly sized 21 mm socket and I would be torquing the transmission case in its mounts rather than moving that stubborn plug. I was going to use a steel fence pole to give myself a longer moment arm but reason got the best of me and I managed to not destroy anything.

I'm either gonna get a breaker bar or take it to a shop and get them to break it with a pneumatic wrench.

^$*@sucker!
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

That's annoying, i want to hear how that heavy hauling fluid works out for you.

User Info Menu

Has anyone tried Motul Gear 300 in their RA tranny? I used it in my 05' STi and loved it. Just wondering if it would be any good. Any additives necessary?

User Info Menu

Im running on it, no additives necessary. In RA tranny it performs better than in my 05WRX.

User Info Menu

good info
    if you got nuts follow my ruts

User Info Menu

after installing a new clutch i replaced my fluid with amsoil severe gear oil. 2 months later i lost 3rd and 4th syncros. only 97000k on the car. gt a new tranny and called subaru. they said the 5 speeds dont like full synthetic, so i ended up mixing some stuff up. its been in there 6 months now and everything seems fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koalorka View Post
    Well, I just wasted 20 minutes fighting with the goddamn transmission drain plug.. I'm using a big 1/2" drive torque wrench with a perfectly sized 21 mm socket and I would be torquing the transmission case in its mounts rather than moving that stubborn plug. I was going to use a steel fence pole to give myself a longer moment arm but reason got the best of me and I managed to not destroy anything.

I'm either gonna get a breaker bar or take it to a shop and get them to break it with a pneumatic wrench.

^$*@sucker!
    I overtorqued the drainbolt and have tried a few times and it hasn't budged even when hot. Next time I try I'll probably use my impact wrench I think it's like 200 lb/ft or something. Just be careful not to break the thread, somehow one of our members did it when trying and I can see how if the bolt is seized/tight. I can't even get it off with my breaker bar right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pooky View Post
    after installing a new clutch i replaced my fluid with amsoil severe gear oil. 2 months later i lost 3rd and 4th syncros. only 97000k on the car. gt a new tranny and called subaru. they said the 5 speeds dont like full synthetic, so i ended up mixing some stuff up. its been in there 6 months now and everything seems fine.
    What kind of clutch did you get? If you got an aftermarket "hard biting" style clutch that's probably what killed it.
    I've heard people report good experiences with Amsoil gear oil in our boxes but haven't tried it myself. I did try Royal Purple and Castrol synthetic and found that I would get grinding after a few weeks and increased notchiness. Did you get grinding or harder shifting/gear changes with the Amsoil? I believe if I kept using the RP/Castrol that my box would have been broken within weeks.