Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Change Transmission Fluid

User Info Menu

Default How To Change Transmission Fluid

It was easier than I thought because unlike some other manual transmission, our car has a dipstick to check the fluid level.

I almost had a heart attack when I finally checked it and noticed the level was away below low!

The drain plug is a little further back from the oil filter and engine oil drain plug and is rather large so you can't miss it.

Just undo it (you'll probably want a breaker bar for this and other tough bolts) and let the oil drain into the pan.

I honestly couldn't see the fill plug too easily but I had access to a large funnel so me and civicless put the funnel into the dipstick and slowly filled it from there.

After putting in some Royal Purple 75W90 which practically cost my arms and legs.......the car drives and shifts so much nicer.

*Update - the manual says it takes 4.0 litres for the transmission

There was not much difference in adding oil between the low level and above high level, so be aware of this and know exactly how much oil is going in there to avoid an overspill.
    Last edited by jdmvip; 12-20-2008 at 01:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Size of socket for transmission is: 13/16 inches

User Info Menu

Can you fill it through the dipstick like an auto tranny?
    08' Ford F150 Lariat Crewcab 4x4
    92 Toyota Aristo full Bippu=SOLD
    92 WRX... lots of mods=SOLD

User Info Menu

Yes you can, just make sure you have a long funnel. I don't believe there is a fill bolt in our transmission, I looked for it but never saw one. Either way the dipstick is the easiest way.

User Info Menu

What's the difference between redline and royal purple tranny fluid ? and whats the difference in weights? why did you use 75-90 for example ?

thanks

User Info Menu

The oil brand is personal preference, and the weight is for temperature but 75w-90 is what Subaru recommends and is usually what you'll find marked as gear oil.
    Also in the Subaru manual they state the dipstick is the way to fill it up so there probably isn't any other way.

And I'm mentioning this for future reference not to insult, but to not strip the bolt head.. Subaru is Japanese thus metric so you should be using a 21mm socket not a 13/16 even thou it might seem to fit great !

User Info Menu

I used Motul synthetic blend 75/90 (it's synthetic with a bit of moly to help the crunchiness go away) from PDM Racing. Mine took about 3.9 L to fill.

http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/motuloil.html

Shifts much better so far.
    '93 JDM wrx

User Info Menu

I added a pint of Redline Shockproof 75/80 and this smoothed things out even more. Still a bit notchy but nowhere near as bad as with the original fluid. Wish I had done this when I got the car!
    '93 JDM wrx

User Info Menu

I changed everything last night with Royal purple I like Royal Purple oils best also there 75W90 already has the LSD additive in it. Tranny took 3.5L I put 4 in and had to drain some out

User Info Menu

I just ordered some Amsoil SVG 75W90 with a quart of GL-4 spec fluid for synchronizer engagement. It's formulated for trucks and heavy hauling equipment.

I'll report back with performance.
    Last edited by koalorka; 04-06-2011 at 02:18 PM.
    1995 STi Version II