Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime Running Light DRL Solution

User Info Menu

I wish i'd known that :P ill try and fix it today and just pull out the parking lights then

User Info Menu

She's up and running. Fuses were blown. replaced them and not using the fog lights until shes passed inspection :P got my temp permit and she's ready to rock

User Info Menu

Good to know, any idea what caused the blown fuses?

User Info Menu

the blown fuse was turning the fogs on as to have the parking lights on the DRL i have a wire to the parking light fuse.. so overloaded it but w/e was good enough to pass the test with

User Info Menu

That's weird, the wiring is always different with each manufacturer.

You can actually cut off the wires you don't want though and not wire them up but I'm not sure how the Toyota procedure is different. I'm sure I'll have the same fun as you when I get an Aristo with the same engine as you.

User Info Menu

does anyone know if the Hanmar is compatible with a 95 Mercedes Benz c280?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    It's pretty simple to understand even for a n00b like me, the instructions basically tell you what to do for each make because the procedure is different especially for Subaru.
    They do work very well too and if you ever need DRL just buy this kit, follow the instructions and you'll be set.
    I have to ask, now that I've passed my OOP, what on earth did you do with the last wire (Green) that they ask you to coil around the sparkplug wire? I tried that, and it didn't work, then used my "phone a friend" and he mentioned that would likely not work on our coilpack system wires - and that he'd never seen that method actually work.
    In the instructions, they mention that you could also find an Accessory powered wire. My buddy and I will feed it through the firewall/grommet and connect under the dash next week.

I needed to pass today really badly, and it was getting dark, so I actually wired into the fusebox stealthaly, to an accessory powered fuse, and that worked, but now that I've passed, you can bet I've disconnected my DRL till I can do it properly (disconnected by removing the fuse for power, and disconnected the wire I put in the fuse box).

JDMVIP - Maybe you had a better solution than feeding it through to the deck accessory, or steering column?

I've attached a scan of the instructions for anyone to use. I believe that the wire I used from the Legacy headlights was yellow, the other two are red. The wire that is going to the park light is exactly where you think it'd be, although you won't see much of it, and it's in a "sleeve" that you'll have to cut.
    For Subaru and Toyota, note that I've boxed in the instructions in orange on the far right side. Don't connect the orange wire! That's all!
    What it lights up on the Legacy is the non-bright lights on the outside of the headlights, these are not the corner lights though, and you may not have even noticed them..anyhow...

If VIP comes up with how he did the green wire easily, then we'll have complete, and easy instructions, because the rest was real simple.
    Attached Files Attached Files
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soren View Post
    If VIP comes up with how he did the green wire easily, then we'll have complete, and easy instructions, because the rest was real simple.
    On my Surf I wired it up to an oil pressure sender located near the block. It was easily accessible and turned out great. I imagine you could do something like that for any other vehicle since as soon as you turn on the ignition, it's reading the oil pressure.

But for a Subaru, I'm not sure. Because you want the wires neat and hidden..

User Info Menu

Does it have automatic lights, cover up the sensor.

User Info Menu

I'm in limp mode right now, busy at work, busy with family, busy with cars....
    I will try and post some pics with wiring instructions lsater on, but just;
    Green wire - splice into + wire at ac condensor. condensor should be on passenger side right next to rad, looksl like a can with a two wire plug. find out which is + . test before splicing by pulling plug out and attatching green wire to plus coonector. Once confirmed, splice and you are done.
    Call me if you need more help.

Ken the fx man