Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime Running Light DRL Solution

User Info Menu

The guy who imported my old WRX (before I owned it) did the foglight trick for the DRL's and managed to pass his OPI like that.

Current: 2001 Bmw 325i, 1999 Ford Exploder V8
    Jordan v.

User Info Menu

I always just left the head lights switched on. When you start the car they come on. I always have them on any way its always passed just like that.

User Info Menu

The shop I use is really concerned about the DRL's. They check for them, it's the only thing I've ever failed for. Got 'em hooked up last night, and it's the red wire out of the headlight by the battery that gets hooked up.

User Info Menu

I am curious how this guy hooked up just the park lamps to be on all the time....

User Info Menu

my park lamps are on all the time no matter what not sure it just came like that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    I am curious how this guy hooked up just the park lamps to be on all the time....
    Do these things have a dedicated parking lights fuse? If yes, locate ignition fuse, locate lights fuse, connect, ???, profit. If not, splice the ignition into parking lamps directly.

User Info Menu

^ probably.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    ^ probably.
    The reason I ask if the parking lamps sit on their own fuse is because it gives an easy tap point to power all of them at once. I don't know what a GC8 fuse box looks like, but it might not be the case.

Anyways, obviously you don't just hardwire your ignition to any components. Might end up setting something on fire. What you want to do is get some decent gauge wire (like speaker wire), one SPST relay rated for automotive use, and hook it up in a similar fashion to this: *

* anyone who knows better, feel free to correct me on this / inline fusing of any power tap lines certainly is a good idea

User Info Menu

I just did a quick ghetto DRL foglight set up on hitempguys STI tonight. It took about 15 minutes and all I need was an inch of wire and some electrical tape. The downside is the foglights turn off when the headlights are on but you cant beat the price.

Simpe jumper wire on the fog light swith plug. You are using a keyed (and fused) power to bypass the switch and turn the fogs on. The switch is now disconnected and useless.

Key Off

Key On

User Info Menu

That's a good idea! I think this is what I'll do for my car when I bring it in for inspection then just hook it back up normal afterwards.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!