Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Daytime Running Light DRL Solution

User Info Menu

Default Daytime Running Light DRL Solution

Just use the Hamsar unit from Canadian Tire. It claims not to be compatible with manufacturers like Subaru and others but the instructions inside show you what to do for Subaru and others.

I recommend this over any other method especially direct wiring and other tricks as you could cause serious problems for yourself if you mess it up.

The Hamsar unit is a cheap and reliable solution with little risk compared to direct wiring.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396673462

User Info Menu

Hmm this is good to know..

I have Bought this a while back for the GTO i was working on..
    but then realized that it didnt say it would work..
    so we returned it and did are own thing..

User Info Menu

Yeah for sure, I even posted and complained that the Hamsar unit was not Subaru compatible but I found some information that lead me to try it anyway.

I wonder, did some of the manufacturers pay Hamsar to say the unit is not compatible with certain makes? Because right inside the instructions they tell you exactly what to do for all the makes they claim aren't compatible even though the outside packaging tells you to contact your local dealer for the solution

User Info Menu

How does it work/install??

User Info Menu

It's pretty simple to understand even for a n00b like me, the instructions basically tell you what to do for each make because the procedure is different especially for Subaru.

It's basically a module that you wire up as they tell you to and it is much safer than direct wiring, many DIY's for different cars I've seen, civicless (being an electrician in training) warns that most of these are not very safe at all and could easily cause a fire. Actually I've read comments like that from others too over the years.

I wish I had the instructions so I could scan them. They do work very well too and if you ever need DRL just buy this kit, follow the instructions and you'll be set.

User Info Menu

this kit is a bit of pain for the supra.. didn't spend much time on it yesterday but will try again tonight after work, might almost be easier to just wire it up directly but we'll see

User Info Menu

Ouch, what kind of problems are you having with it? Did you read the Toyota specific instructions?

If you do wire it directly please post a How-To with pics but a lot of people warn against direct wiring (depending how it's done) because it could cause a fire and I wouldn't risk my JDM for anything.

User Info Menu

Well got close tonight... my brother and i wired it up with the hamsar kit, it was a pain, the front lights were easy enough but the rear was a bit different as we had to wire it up to a fuse which was the easiest way to get the parking lights to go on, then when trying the fog lights it blew something... will look into it tomorrow and see what went wrong... so close though it was working!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

At least you are close, and hopefully you guys just blew a fuse. This forum shows how great family is, I had a lot of help doing compliance work from my father and brother in law and then the brother in law from the other side hooked up cheap audio accessories

I feel like such a leecher but I think I pay my dues in the end, at least I like to lol

All you technically need for DRL (as far as I know) is just for something in the front to be on full-time whether it is foglights or the main driving lights.

Doing parking lights and things like that can be more annoying, I just stuck to headlights.

Sorry I should have mentioned that somewhere

User Info Menu

ya you just need lights on the front end to come on..
    if you go letter of the law kinda thing..
    YOu coul;d jsut use your corner lights.