Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My thoughts about Honda

User Info Menu

Default My thoughts about Honda

I know I've really ragged on Honda a lot, maybe because I've owned one and I personally find them disappointing in many respects but then again I never owned one with a decent or more powerful engine and definitely never a JDM Honda.

I think Honda deserves a lot more credit and respect (ricers and econoboxes aside) for the reliability and amazing performance some of their models bring, especially the JDM engines.

A good example is the H22A engine in the Prelude Si VTEC which produces 200HP or even the H22A variant in the CD6 Honda Accord SiR model which produces 190 HP.

Remember, we're talking about 4-cylinder engines without turbos producing 200HP back in 1991! That is one thing no manufacturer can really match especially back then.

Even the S200 has about 240 something horses (I don't know the exact number) and that again is very amazing.

Honda definitely deserves credit for those achievements especially the kind of performance they've shown with 4-cylinder naturally aspirated engines.

Personally I wouldn't mind looking at the CD6 1993 Honda Accord SiR with the 190HP H22A engine when it comes available to us this fall.

User Info Menu

Hey I had a 2000 Honda Prelude. Its was 200hp on the H22A4. I loved making 8k shifts! But damn its still a torqless bitch unlike my EJ20. Really nice looking car. The JDM H22's in the Type S 5th gen Preludes were Red tops with 220hp stock. Crappy thing about H22's is that they love to burn oil!
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

I've heard that all VTEC engines burn oil, my brother in law had the latest Honda Accord with VTEC and was losing oil even when new.

User Info Menu

Yeah wouldn't surprise me. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the valve seals leaking or just not good.

User Info Menu

It's just weird that even new VTEC engines today have it. I guess it's impossible to produce so much HP with a normally aspirated 4-cylinder and not have any side effects.

I guess it's not a problem, VTEC owners just have to watch their oil and top up more carefully.

You can probably go longer between oil changes since you keep topping up new oil too.

User Info Menu

I actually couldn't go over 5000km with my Honda even though I topped it up lots. It would burn about half the oil in between oil changed and it was hard on the oil. It would be right black.

User Info Menu

Did you ever get any blue smoke when driving the car?

User Info Menu

I think it was black. My friends would call me on my cell if there were driving behind me and I would wot it because of smoke.

User Info Menu

Whoa that's a little excessive with the consumption, but isn't black smoke normally unburnt fuel? If you weren't getting blue fuel I don't think it's so bad.

User Info Menu

Well yeah it's really excessive. It was getting worse every week.