Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brake Caliper/Rotor/Pad Upgrades for JZS147 3.0V Aristo?

User Info Menu

Default Brake Caliper/Rotor/Pad Upgrades for JZS147 3.0V Aristo?

Does anyone have any info of what USDM parts would fit this car?
    Are there any stock upgrades for pads and rotors that would improve braking power and reduce brake fade?

Is there a "common" upgrade that Aristo owners to replace the calipers?

Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Try and find out if there is a car that uses the same calipers as the aristo, and see if its on this list. http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp?Make=Toyota

I know with a good/rebuilt set of stock calipers, and a good rotor, that carbotech pads will improve your braking a ton. I know a lot of guys who use the xp8's for street use and just live with the excess dust they give off, as the stopping power more then makes up for it. Also a set of Goodridge or HEL SS brakelines along with a good brake fluid will help reduce brake fade.

User Info Menu

The most common upgrade that I know of is guys getting the MKIV TT Supra brakes. But you have to buy the calipers and everything which is big $$$.

Best thing to do is see if you can find an upgrade for the GS300 as the pads and rotors for the Aristo are the same as the GS. However, when you are sourcing brakes make sure the disks are 296mm diameter. Some suppliers are selling rotors that are 280 something and those are too small.

I'm going to have to get brakes for my Aristo soon and I'm going to try a set from iRotors. I've heard good and bad, but it seems like if you brake them in properly they should be ok.

User Info Menu

The brakes are a definate weak spot on the Aristo.I have managed to overheat a few of the different cars i have driven.
    They are the same as a GS300 but i would advise against drilled rotors as the tend to crack when overheated and the brakes on these cars do get very hot even with just spirited driving!!
    My own car has the stock set up with an aftermarket pads which i believe are EBC Green stuff pads(yet to confirm) which do stop the car very well.
    As my fronts are almost done i am going to get a set of Hawk HPS pads with stock rotors as a few guys with R32 GTR's are running them and are happy with them on the street.
    There will always be different people like one brand against another but if you go for a performance brake pad be prepared for some noise,dust and quicker rotor wear.
    I would love to swap out for MKIV Supra TT brakes all round but i would have to swap wheels also and i do not think the wife would be too impressed!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. I think it makes sense to just get better brakepads and deal with the dust and noise.

Pacific JDM Parts, is there such thing as a non-drilled rotors that will provide better than stock braking power?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pacific JDM Parts View Post
    I would love to swap out for MKIV Supra TT brakes all round but i would have to swap wheels also and i do not think the wife would be too impressed!!
    That's a very good point!!! If you upgrade to the Supra brakes you have to make sure your rims clear the calipers.

User Info Menu

How big could they be?! I think Pacific JDM Parts has 18"'s already!?
    It sounds like you need a special rim designed to fit Supra to make those calipers work.

That's a good tip because it would sure be bad to find this out after buying Supra calipers

User Info Menu

As long as the rims are bigger than 16 inch the overall diameter is o.k its the offset that is critical to clear the calipers.And mine run close to the stock calipers now so theres no way they would clear.
    I may look at some slotted rotors for my car when i order my pads and see what i can find.

User Info Menu

I was just doing some reading and I didn't realize you can also upgrade the front brakes to LS400 4 pots. Two problems though:

1. They aren't a direct bolt on. You would have to get RCAs (RCA = Roll Centre Adjusters) (I'm just copying and pasting here, I couldn't tell you what that is at the moment.)

2. You need a pretty big offset for your rims to clear the calipers, so it is likely you would have to run spacers to get them to fit.

User Info Menu

You are right the LS400 4 piston rotors and calipers do fit on to the front of the Aristo but there is some work required.
    You either install roll centre adjusters as stated or a lot of people actually grind off some of the caliper material and outer tie rod end to make them fit as the calipers will not bolt on as they hit the outer tie rod end and hub.
    I personally would never install a caliper on my own vehicle which has had material removed right near the brake fluid passage as have driven a car before when the brakes failed and its not a fun experience!
    I have my new pads and rotors here waiting to go on my car but i am waiting for my stainless hoses to come before i do the job.
    As soon as there on i will post up my findings.