Thread: The Shipping Insurance, Theft & Damage Thread When Exporting/Importing

User Info Menu

Default The Shipping Insurance, Theft & Damage Thread When Exporting/Importing

Thanks to Derek for suggesting this thread.
    I won't say too much now, but I'll report my experience of dealing with AIU Insurance company and shipping damage once the process is complete.

I think we should report our experiences here with different Insurers and exchange tips on avoiding problems with Insurance claims because you never know when you'll need to make a claim. We always assume there won't be a total loss situation, damage or theft etc...but it does happen often enough.

I think we should focus on the issues of Insurance company honesty, Coverage (and what kind of Coverage is available, some Exporters only take out total loss and not damage, theft etc..).

User Info Menu

Damage and also theft too.

User Info Menu

Good idea Ken, I added it to the name of the thread. So does anyone have any info or experiences to report?

User Info Menu

I'm going to report my experience with AIU Insurance, I actually think it was fairly simple and a overall positive experience after it's all been said and done.

Chartis Insurance in Toronto handled my claim on behalf of AIU Japan and they were very quick about it. Once I finally got the 2 damage repair quotes, they had approved it and sent off a cheque within one business day.

The only issue is that they of course picked the cheapest quote without my consent. If you get quotes, don't go to a place who's work you don't trust because the cheaper quote will be the one they pick by default.

I'm sure this is standard but one thing I did not like is having to send a letter of intent (basically saying I am holding them legally responsible for damage) to every company who handled my car including the shipping company, Exporter, warehouse, broker etc.. They say it is to protect my rights but actually in the settlement agreement I realize this gives them the legal right to collect damages for themselves on behalf of my claim from the companies I sent the letter to.

They also seemed to be fussy about verifying the damage was not done in Japan, if I didn't have enough detailed pictures from my Exporter to show the damage wasn't there then things may be difficult. Of course I understand the Insurance company needs to make sure someone is not claiming pre-existing damage though.

I am pleased overall with how the claim was handled, the main delay was on my part. This is probably applicable to any shipping damage, but the first thing you should be looking for is 2 damage quotes (it wasn't easy to get quotes on fibreglass work), and the rest can be done easily later (such as sending them the invoice etc..)