Thread: Sony XSV1642 & Sony XSV6942A Car Audio Speaker Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Sony XSV1642 & Sony XSV6942A Car Audio Speaker Review

Sony XSV1642 Speaker 6.5"

Sony XSV6942A Speaker 6x9"

A lot of people really rag on Sony's car audio products and I have no idea why because a lot of them are better than the competition.

The Speaker's in my Impreza were once top of the line and made by Clarion of Japan but they were showing their age and they were slightly decrepit and corroded even!

At first I just had the tiny Sony 6.5" speakers in the back and even they were pretty loud with my JVC KD-PDR80 deck although they couldn't handle all the bass 100% and the power from the head unit (no 6.5" speakers could because I tested Pioneer and other brands). That is to be expected but even so the sound was pretty good and loud especially for such a tiny speaker.

Eventually I got the full set and the 6x9's from my brother in law and installed them in the back and civicless helped me install the 6.5"s in the front doors too.

The overall sound quality is amazing, the 6x9"s pound so hard and have a subwoofer like bass that still gives me a headache. They aren't just loud, the lows, mids and highs are crystal clear! I don't know of any other 6x9"s that have 4-way speakers like this either.

These are not just a great value but these speakers are very loud and I don't know why anyone would need much more than this.

The 6.5's are rated at 270W and the 6x9's at 320W.

I also want to say thanks to my other brother in law (sorry civicless not you this time) for hooking these up at cost making it an even sweeter deal and amazing value for me

User Info Menu

Just an update, I believe one of the 6x9"s is dead. It makes a rattling sound when it is hot out, oddly enough at night (when it's cold) it doesn't do this.

I guess I'll see if this can be RMA'd

User Info Menu

These speakers are still working good after all these years but I have had intermittent rattling on some of them but not very often. I won't blame Sony as I believe the problem is condensation and poor seals in the car that are causing the issues.