Thread: 180sx bogging

User Info Menu

Default 180sx bogging

ok so i have my 180sx and it has the sr20det engine new s14 clutch new bov, fuel filter, sparkplugs, air filter, my issue is when i am speed shifting under high rpm it tends to completely bog out it looses power and then struggles to regain power, if i granny shift it works fine. if anyone knows wats happening it will be greatly appreciated

User Info Menu

Again, trying to get my post count up... and in case someone else has this issue-

Depends on the type of bogging could be something as simple. Simple maintenance goes a long way. Fuel filter is an ok place to start, but more than likely coil pack. Last thing I could imagine is a maf.

I am only speaking from experience, I had a similar issue and it was in fact the coil packs.

User Info Menu

Does it only bog after the shift when you'er hard on the gas or will it do it before the shift at high RPM? How does it idle and drive under normal conditions?

User Info Menu

What does speed shift and granny shift mean? As in specifics, is speed shifting meaning you're hard on the gas and letting off quick, while shifting fast and hard? Does granny shifting mean you are lighter on the throttle and ease off before you shift? Are you just changing quickly while driving normally and it bogs? Does the car have a aftermarket atmospheric venting BOV? If it does and the car uses a MAF and not a MAP, that would likely be causing a momentary rich condition. Some vehicles this can be very noticeable on. Others it lasts only a split second and is inconsequential.

Edit** I see you say you have a new BOV on the car. I would do some reading up on SR20's and BOVs. Easy test is to remove the BOV and plug the vacuum line and whatever mounting point the BOV uses.
    Last edited by rimbasher57; 01-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    This aggression will not stand, man!

User Info Menu

You're not double clutching like you should bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    You're not double clutching like you should bro.
    Braden is probably right.
    This aggression will not stand, man!

User Info Menu

This was super old, I just posted here to get my count up.

BOV with SR20's should probably be recirculated. I don't recirculate mine but if I remember correctly there are was to compensate for it.

I assumed the original problem meant that when he drives the car harder or pushes it into higher RPM's it would bog probably under full throttle. Like I said mine did that and turned out to be a coil pack.

User Info Menu

A non-recirc BOV is not going to cause bogging issues. It will cause exhaust flames and pops on throttle lift off, and running rich conditions. But at high RPM that excess fuel is so quickly burned up it will be un-noticeable.

This is most likely a coil pack. This is a common failure for the SR20 motor - when the coil packs get old the car will bog, and in the worst case act as if it has a rev limiter.
    Owning RHDs since '06!