Thread: boost probs

User Info Menu

Default boost probs

Hi I am very new to the site and I'M wondering if I'm on the right track here, I have a Stock JDM Celica Gt4 St205 (94) L. My problem is that as I'm accelerating my my turbo gauge is rising as I accelerate which I know is not right,the needle on the turbo gauge is sitting just below the zero mark,with ignition on but not started,and I seem to be losing pressure somehow,I don't seem to be getting ant boost at all,my gauge is creeping up as I accelerate,I've checked all intake pipes and hoses,I'm at a total loss here, I hope sombody could shed some light on my problem, I'm from Aberdeen Scotland,and there's not much help here with these type of cars apart from MrToyota and the cost is too much for me at this moment in time,I would appreciate some help or ideas about my problem.
    Regards..
    Paul B

User Info Menu

MAybe Speed Stick can shed some light here, he had a GT4 before his 'preza. I have to say that I'm not sure what your situation means though.. sorry.

User Info Menu

Ya sounds like you have a pretty major leak. I used to have an RC but sold it fairly quickly. Check out this forum, it's specific to GT-FOURs.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50

That's where I got information for my car. GT-FOURs is a small group.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Hi Paul,

As speedstick says, check on alltrac.net and celicatech.net for local owners.

I prefer the UK sites and they have a better following for these cars ... especially the ST205. Try GT4OC.net

From your description, I would lean toward a boost leak as the CT series turbos are pretty tough. However it could be a siezed turbo or a stuck wastegate.

Few places to check for boost leaks are:
    -Any hoses runing off the intake manifold to the intake manifold. EGR is common
    -Large hoses ... common that the turbo to intercooler hose has split ... or the intercooler to throttle body coupler has split.
    -T/VSV (Turbocharger Vacuum Switching Valve) works on a solenoid and will prevent boost to increase if not working or is unhooked somehow.

Do you have an aftermarket boost gauge? The stock gauge is slow to respond and not all that informative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pbbeetz View Post
    Hi I am very new to the site and I'M wondering if I'm on the right track here, I have a Stock JDM Celica Gt4 St205 (94) L. My problem is that as I'm accelerating my my turbo gauge is rising as I accelerate which I know is not right,the needle on the turbo gauge is sitting just below the zero mark,with ignition on but not started,and I seem to be losing pressure somehow,I don't seem to be getting ant boost at all,my gauge is creeping up as I accelerate,I've checked all intake pipes and hoses,I'm at a total loss here, I hope sombody could shed some light on my problem, I'm from Aberdeen Scotland,and there's not much help here with these type of cars apart from MrToyota and the cost is too much for me at this moment in time,I would appreciate some help or ideas about my problem.
    Regards..
    Paul B
    I had the same kind of an issue, and keeps bothering me like hell, so I have to take proper steps in resolving the issue as soon as possible

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pbbeetz View Post
    Regards..
    Paul B

I'd start by building a boost tester. That would be the quickest way to narrow down your problem. It's a really cheap thing to build as well.http://forums.jdmvip.com/Boost_Leak_...Impreza-4082-t

User Info Menu

For one thing do you know how to check codes on your car? I would do that first and +1 for the boost leak tester but IMHO if it's such a bad leak you should be able to hear it.