Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best or Most favoured Auction Houses in Japan?

User Info Menu

Default Best or Most favoured Auction Houses in Japan?

I want to spark some discussion on what you guys think are some of the best auction houses in Japan. I mean, considering their auction grading and how accurate it is, the kind of quality these auction houses provide in their cars, etc. I know that it can vary, but for the most part any car that comes from Sapporo auctions you should be worried about rust as they get snow during the winter, where some of the more southern auction houses in Japan may only have minor rust issues if any. What do you guys think?

Any Exporters should definately pipe in as you guys would know this best I'm sure

User Info Menu

Great thread idea Grif!

User Info Menu

Yes this is a good thread. Griffin is on a roll, this is something I've always thought about but it never occurred to make a thread about it. We enough knowledge and membership here to build this into the most comprehensive info about the different houses IMHO.

I have no thoughts at the moment but as we know quality, reliability and accuracy greatly vary from auction house to auction house.

We should start posting real life experiences and observations from watching the auctions in this thread.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, do I get a cookie?

I strongly believe that even looking at auction sheets you can get things missed and maybe the grading of the vehicle is off. I mean, certainly we're all human, and make mistakes. But I'm sure some auction houses have a better reputation than others.

I got my Aristo from the Kobe auctions in southern Japan in the Hyogo Prefecture and I've noticed quite a few vehicles that go through there appear to have higher grading. I feel confident to believe they're accurate since I believe the condition of my Aristo met this inspection precisely

User Info Menu

*Cookie sent*

Yes there are many vehicles I've seen that have been graded 4 with all kinds of rust, corrosion dents and peeling paint. I think most will agree that USS is the most common offender, they give anything a grade 4.

With my WRX there was rust on the trunk lid that was never reported. I think my car came from JU and was the "digital" type of auction sheet. I feel digital auction sheets are very inaccurate and imprecise and that JU doesn't inspect things very well.

There are warning signs that I could have seen though, my car had a few P1 (peeling paint) mentioned but peeling paint and rust are totally different. In fact the peeling paint could have been considered W3.

Many cars have paint work done on them that is never noted by the auction house. Then some cars have W1/W2 marks which sometimes are barely noticeable so it really varies.

This is why I would never want to bid on a car without getting a quick inspection. Half of the annoyances/problems with cars are easily detectable with a quick look over by someone with a decent eye and common sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    This is why I would never want to bid on a car without getting a quick inspection. Half of the annoyances/problems with cars are easily detectable with a quick look over by someone with a decent eye and common sense.
    Good point, I think this is where exporters shine. When they have the time and 'going out of their way' attitude to ensure that you're getting the car that you want with no surprises

User Info Menu

Yes but most refuse/hesitant to do an inspection, and of course some fairly/rightfully charge a small fee to have it done. Also many Exporters themselves can hardly be trusted to note many obvious problems once the vehicle arrives in their yard.

I also would prefer one of the few Exporters who would return a car to auction if they find a serious problem with it (eg. engine/transmission needs to be rebuilt etc..). It can be done but most refuse to do it, for understandable reasons but as the customer it is preferable to know they would do it in the case I mentioned.

User Info Menu

From my personal experience, I think the USS auctions are good. Also, HAA Kobe is good too. I've been the JU auctions, CAA auctions, HAA auctions, and KAA Kyoto. NAA Nagoya auction is definately the smallest, and next was KAA. The largest are the USS Tokyo, Nagoya and HAA Kobe.

As for reliability of inspection sheets, I think USS Tokyo, USS Nagoya, USS Yokohama and HAA Kobe are particularly good (from my experience). We've sent vehicles back to USS Yokohama and USS Tokyo due to something missed on inspection sheets. USS is particularly good at honouring this, and we do not hesitate to send something back.

Some auctions have a minimum value for accepting a return. Some auctions are 200,000yen winning bid or more before they will accept a claim.

I also wouldn't hesitate getting a second inspection if there is something particular the client wants to see. USS auctions are very good at this. I also have an inspector (third party) at HAA Kobe on Saturday.

The honest truth about any inspection is that we can't drive the vehicle. So, there is always a risk that something will only show up if we drive the vehicle. However, the auction does everything possible to make sure they get all the mechanical issues; we can claim for something they miss and its costly for them to have to accept a claim. So, they want to cover their butts. We want to protect the client. So, making a claim is something I'm very much in support, even if it costs me money.

Steven Smith
    SASTRAD KK
    http://www.sastrad.com
    http://www.japancarexportsonline.net
    I'm a Canadian in Nagoya

User Info Menu

^ This says alot about the auction houses in japan. Big kudos to Steve for posting this up.

I never know about auction houses having to cover their a$$ before, if there's any hesitation of something getting missed, then we as importers/buyers don't have to worry about sending it back without too much hassle!

User Info Menu

A little off topic, but was wondering if there anywhere i can see auction results. got a few ideas for my next JDM, and would like to figure out if they fall into my price range.