Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My '94 Land Cruiser

User Info Menu

Show room paint is now destroyed...

Damn trees!!!! Why do they have to grow on the road!!!!

Got a pretty good view though....

User Info Menu

Ouch that sucks!
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Just gives it character nice rig

User Info Menu

BC pinstriping.

User Info Menu

its a cruiser, its a shame making a cruiser a pavement cruiser.
    Use it for what its intended for. Getting places.

User Info Menu

Oh geez Ry! You sure did good there!

User Info Menu

pin striping by Mother Nature ...
    nice ride, congrats.
    the auto is better on fuel and has a better top end than the 5 speed.
    i would suggest an aftermarket tranny cooler and temp gauge ASAP.
    did you change out the BEBs?
    that is about the only weak links in that truck.

cheers and enjoy.

User Info Menu

Thanks Wayne!

I've been really happy with the truck thus far. It has never left me stranded and never really had any problems at all. I'm not too concerned about overheating since I don't run it hard, but it's always a good idea to have an eye on things. I've been thinking about installing a few gauges for a while now...and a 3" exhaust. However, I haven't pulled the trigger on getting the stuff.

BEBs and transmission flush were done immediately upon arrival from Japan I've also had the front end rebuilt which is apparently also something that needs to be done every so often.

User Info Menu

the cooler is important if you are going to be towing a small trailer, max weight i recommend is 3500 lbs. guys have the mistaken idea that if a vehicle has a recommended max towing rate of 5000 lbs then they should. 2 of my customers bought HDJ81s for the purpose of a family camping hauler for their 5000 lb airstream. both sold the 81s after the first summer. they admitted although the truck can pull the weight is is NOT a comfortable tow.

i still installed the aux cooler and gauge due to the cost of a repair for the auto, cheap insurance.

tough trucks that are a true joy to drive and own.

gauges, the factory temp is a glorified idiot light so water temp, pyrometer (most important gauge a diesel owner can install) and tranny gauge and you should be set.

3" exhaust is not a neccesity but a want, got the money then go for it or wait till you actually need it. it doen't increase HP, it doesn't increase torque, it doesn't increase fuel mileage but i can drop the EGTs. the mags that promote the larger exhaust on diesels to increase HP and torque lie, simple as that. i deal with a custom turbo shop in Calgary that builds turbos for variety of applications. when i asked about the HUGE exhaust people were putting on their north american diesels and performance gains the reality came to light. mags write lies to sell merchandise.
    does your ride have a winch, i didn't notice. if not then that is where i would invest the money. a QUALITY winch will get your ass out of the mess your right foot got it into. (a poor quality winch will just get you stuck worse)

enjoy the truck, you will love where it can take you in comfort.

User Info Menu

Thanks again there Crushers!!!

Hmmm...I'm looking at buying a 12 or 14' aluminum boat, so I guess (even though it will be relatively light) I should factor in having a trans temp gauge installed. Plus I still have to get a hitch and get the truck wired for a trailer as well. That's good advice on the towing capacity as well, thanks! I was going to have a look around on the mud site, but I'm sure I'd be wading through a number of threads before I found the answer.

I've been wanting to get a 3" exhaust, but I can't justify spending $1000 on it. Especially if it's not doing much as you mentioned...unless I start towing something I guess

Winch, nah, I don't do anything serious enough to need that, but good advice none the less. Not something you want to have crap out on you if you are in a situation where you need to use it!

Pyrometer....going to have to "google" that one...