Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My '94 Land Cruiser

User Info Menu

the HDJ81 has only the tranny line through the bottom of the rad for cooling, you might want to consider the aux tranny cooler.
    the gasser 80s in most countries have the factory aux cooler.

it was an eye opener when i realised the JDM didn't have them. You might want to talk to Seldon at G&SCruiserparts or Mike at West Coast Cruisers for their suggestions.

a Pyro tells you how hot the exhaust temps are, you will be surprised at how fast the pyro moves. It can move as fast as your tach on a diesel, unlike the water gauge that basicly tells you to "pull out your wallet" when it hits the red.

i recommend them to all my customers and i run them in most of my diesel trucks. they truely are a head saver.

User Info Menu

About a month ago when I was coming back from the interior I lost a weight off my rim. I was getting a bit more vibration in the steering wheel at about 80km/hr, so I decided it would be a good idea to get everything rebalanced. I also wanted things to be done properly because i've had a suspicion that the rims and tires weren't balanced very well when I had the new tires mounted. So I decided to splurge and get road force done.

MASSIVE DIFFERENCE!!!!! I think I will only have rims and tires balanced with road force from here on. Yeah it cost me $170, but the LC drives WAY better than before. When I had road force done, the guy said that one of the tires was out so badly it shut the machine down.... I'm interested to see my difference in fuel economy as well. I don't expect it to be significantly different around town, but I would expect to pick up at least 1MPG for highway driving. We'll see though!

User Info Menu

hmm. That's interesting. I'm unfamiliar with with road force, but suspect it's a high-end balancing or something of the sort. I'm thinking that I'll have to do a balance on the cresta, because around 110, I've got a bit of a vibration, I'm hoping it's the balance. I can imagine that the truck would feel tonnes better though with a proper balance, those tires are huge, and the mass/weight would really feel unsettling/annoying.

User Info Menu

Yeah, and apparently bigger BFGs are notorious for being an unbalanced tire, but as you said I'm sure any larger tire is less likely to be manufactured well balanced.

Want a boring read:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...sp?techid=109&

I didn't actually read through that, but I think someone had said before that they basically rotate the tire on the rim so that the unbalance in each start to cancel each other out, so the fewest weights have to be added to the rim.

User Info Menu

we did this with a set of 36" X 10" mud tires, installed, checked, deflated, rotate, inflate, checked and again on each tire.
    the weight savings was substantial. the truck rides extremely smooth now.

a good tire shop will do this but it costs time and time is money to a shop so don't expect your budget tire shop to be willing to go to this amount of work for free.

User Info Menu

I would imagine it's a bit tedious for the guy(s) working on it, but it's definitely worth it for the customer

As you said, it makes the truck ride a lot smoother. Maybe it's my imagination, but it seemed like I could even feel the difference when driving around town.

User Info Menu

Just splashed out a wad of cash on the Land Cruiser

- 3in1 gauge (Boost, EGT and Trans temp)
    - Fuel pump mod
    - Full 3" exhaust
    - Power rod mod

Power rod mod includes increasing the boost and a new tune. Supposedly the power is increased from about 160 hp to somewhere around 180-190. I can DEFINITELY feel a difference.

Stock exhaust is routed outside the frame and is exposed consistently whatever the tires throw at. Now it is routed inside the frame and I just have to cut a piece of inner tube to keep wash off it.

The angle of the exhaust out the back is much better now too. Stock comes straight out the back, so if you are standing there you are getting hosed with diesel exhaust. However, I don't think pedestrians will like it LOL

I took a video as well, but I've never posted on you tube, so I'll see if I can get loaded on there

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Badass Land Cruiser!

I want to own one some day, I like the HJ61's for some reason though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xanicron View Post
    Badass Land Cruiser!

I want to own one some day, I like the HJ61's for some reason though.

+1 to this response. I also like the HJ61. Your's looks great!
    This aggression will not stand, man!