Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: My '94 Land Cruiser

User Info Menu

I always wanted an older Land Cruiser as a reliable winter vehicle that can handle the dam snow and pot holes here on the east coast. Wish i had the money to invest in one, Nice to see yours is still doing well.

Whats it like in the winter time? Have any problems or is it smooth sailing?
    HFX_S15
    Nissan Silvia S15 Spec S Auto

User Info Menu

Sorry, I didn't notice your post until now.

Just smooth sailing in the winter. The only down side is that it can take quite a while to warm up if it's cold out. At first my girlfriend thought the LC was too big and unnecessary. We've be caught in a few snow storms now and she's been very happy we have it after watching people in front of us spin out. Plus, we can sleep in the back when we go camping, so we don't have to deal with setting up a tent.

You are right though, they are basically an investment. I can't believe what these things are selling for now in Japan. What seems even more odd is that prices in Canada actually seem to be a bit depressed. Most of the ones that are here are from 1990 or 1991 though I guess. I haven't seen many '94 or newer ones for sale. I recently considered selling it and getting a Surf instead just to get a bit better fuel economy, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I did a lot of reading and it seems that anyone who has had an 80 series and changed it for a surf (or 4 runner) still wishes they had their 80, so I think it's here to stay

User Info Menu

Having had a '96 Hilux Surf SSR-G and then a '91 Land Cruiser HDJ81, I can tell you the Surf is nicer to park/manouver in the city, and has the roll down rear window which I loved, but the LC is superior in every other way.
    '93 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81
    '99 MB E55t AMG
    '04 Lexus GX470 Ultra Premium
    '91 Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ81 RIP
    '96 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G RIP

User Info Menu

Milestone reached!

User Info Menu

Got me some new tires today

Initial impressions....I'm pretty happy I got them The BFG's still had a fair amount of tread on them, but they needed to be balanced again and I didn't feel like spending money on old tires, so I sold the BFG's and bought these Good Year DuraTrac's after doing lots of research. So far they seem to give a more comfortable ride which makes sense because they are (I believe) a softer tire than the TA's I used to have. They do seem to give off a bit more road noise on the highway, but it's well worth it for the additional comfort. It might be because they have a bit less pressure in them though. The shop put them up to 40psi, but I was usually running my BFG's at about 43. Maybe that doesn't make a lot of difference....I'm no tire expert.

User Info Menu

ooo duratrac's, they're a good tire, while I personally havent used them yet, alot of guys in my 4x4 club run them, and love them.
    They are a little noisier on the road, but they make up for it in offroad/ bad condition driving

User Info Menu

That's why I ended up getting them. The BFG AT KO's I had before never let me down, but I also wasn't commuting as far on them. I figure with the longer drive in heavier traffic it is a good idea to have tires that have a bit more grip in wet and cold conditions. I know BFG is coming out with their KO2's in November, but they are even heavier than the current KO's so I decided to go with the Duratrac's

User Info Menu

Might as well bump this thread up as well. Upgrades over the years has included:

• Front mount intercooler
    • MMP ball bearing turbo
    • Fujitsubo 2.75" stainless exhaust
    • Dobinsons 2.5" suspension kit
    • SCS F5 dark matte bronze wheels
    • Greddy EGT pre-turbo gauge
    • Custom made triple gauge pod with Pivot gauges (water, boost, trans oil temp)
    • Custom modified an air box from a 2005 Duramax diesel (way better flow at higher boost)

That's what I can think of at the moment. Current pics.

User Info Menu

A few pics from the project making the triple gauge pod.

Happy with the end result, but it's not perfect. Pretty good for my first project like this though

User Info Menu

Very nicely done Ryan, the gauges look as if they were stock!