Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: My '94 Land Cruiser

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Very nicely done Ryan, the gauges look as if they were stock!
    That's the idea! Now that I've done this project I would like to take it one step further and actually cut them into the center console. They'd sit a bit lower and then be fully integrated. I think i'd want to buy a second console though to try it on in case it doesn't work out.

You know how you mentioned you can have parts around for a while before you get to install them sometimes? I've had these gauges for about 5 years waiting to do this project! Always seems to be something else that "needs" to be done rather than a side project like this that is a want rather than a need.

User Info Menu

It looks great already but center console would be very impressive! Wow 5 years is a long time and I am sure some might judge us, but when life gets busy sometimes new parts/mini-projects just literally sit until we have the time

User Info Menu

Yup, insane amount of life changes in the last 5 years of my life! Also hard to believe I have owned this truck for 12 years now!

Was getting some squealing in reverse last week. Checked and the rear brake pads definitely needed to be done. Got them changed out on Saturday. Here's the old ones.

User Info Menu

Yes time flies Ryan, I am glad to see you keeping so many of your rides over the years! Yes the squealing, that's how I realized Legacy needed new pads a few months ago (will try to post pics in another thread once I find them!).

User Info Menu

Just a few minor things on the weekend...Greased the U-joints and changed the air filter. I also FINALLY got delivery of my HID projector retrofit kit. Ordered in November 2021, so it's been a long time coming! Now I have to finish up my work on the Alpina and probably get the Aristo running before I start the retrofit project.

User Info Menu

Nice work Ryan, you are catching up!

User Info Menu

Started removal of the old tint this weekend. Worked with a head gun and it started out ok at the top where it gets a little bit of UV protection from the rain visors.

Wasn't long before I had to resort to just the razor blade (sorry, fat finger got in the pic).

Obviously, this made it take WAY longer, but it wasn't terrible to get the residue cleaned off the window. I kept the glass warm with the heat gun then applied glass cleaner with ammonia in it (Windex) and it cleaned off without too much effort.

Worst part was the old tint that came off. It was extremely brittle, but the adhesive was still strong, so it was all over my hands and not really easy to clean off.

Passed a milestone this week too!

Last edited by RyanV; 05-09-2022 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

She got a wash and tint installed on the rear windows yesterday (25%). We'll see how the tint looks as it cures over the next while and then I'll judge the application, but right now I'm just thinking it's not great, but ok.

A few observations from the tint installation. I haven't applied tint before and I bought a cheap tint since I didn't want to hack up expensive tint since I have zero experience. The tint I bought was also 3mil. Before starting I thought this would be good because thicker would be better, right? I think this may have made the job more difficult as it didn't want to sort of flex and move very easily when trying to do cuts. The rain guards made it pretty much impossible to cut the tint on the outside. I didn't want to remove them since they are old and likely brittle and I didn't have the double sided tape to reinstall. Making the cuts definitely takes a lot of practice. I watched lots of videos and stuff before starting, but most show the front window which I think is probably easier. Getting cuts into the four corners on the rear is a bit of a pain. Again, the thickness of the tint made this harder (I think).

Anyway, I'll see how it looks after it cures for a week or so. At least I don't have the faded, cracked ruined pinkish tint anymore!

User Info Menu

Nice Ryan, very impressive and professional. So would you have gone thinner next time? I wonder is it more or less likely that thicker or thinner bubbles or is it mainly down to technique? I love Youtube as those videos are often made by guys with a lot of practice in "best case scenarios" or "easiest scenarios" that will not be applicable to many of us .

User Info Menu

Given my experience...I'm not sure. My original preference was to go with the 3M ceramic stuff, but it's expensive and I didn't want to mess it up with my lack of experience. I think it's thinner, but not 100% sure. If I could get a cheap one like I have now at 2mil instead of 3mil I'd give it a try for comparison. I'm sure the 3M stuff also performs better than what I put on, but it seems to be working ok so far. I haven't measured temperatures or anything for a true before and after, but the truck does seem a bit cooler; however, I think most of the heat transfer comes from the roof. I'm sure if I put my roof rack back on, that would actually help with temperatures in the summer. With the current heat wave, maybe this is something I should consider!