Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission/Differential/VC Viscous Coupling Problem Research/Info Thread

User Info Menu

Sssaaawweeet

User Info Menu

Yeah, some have even suggested getting the auto for that reason or just buying the 5MT with the understanding that in short time you'll need a new VC (kind of like replacing the clutch).

I hear the autos are faster on the take off too.

User Info Menu

thanks for bumping this man!!! Once I finally figure out what I'm going to do, I'll add to this thread what I find

User Info Menu

Okay, link dump here

Near the bottom of this page, they decode the transmission codes for subbies

http://legacycentral.org/library/transmission/intro.htm

As you can see, the 5th digit is the series number. Across the globe if you look at a tranny code chart found here:

http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPa...smission+Chart

you can see that all cars 98 and down, whether UK, JDM, USDM seem to switch from a series 2 tranny to a series 4 tranny. I think this is the key to knowing which phase diff is in the tranny you have.

What I'm going to do is order a phase 1 diff and hope its right. Its possible that the series change means more than that, but everyone is talking about this phase 1-2 shift around this time and all the tranny codes change at that time globally (pull and push style clutches too).

wish me luck!!!
    Last edited by rotarygreg; 05-14-2014 at 01:16 PM.

User Info Menu

That's tricky but I see what you mean most older transmissions were:
    TY752VB2DA
    and then later on you have
    TY754VBAAA

The confusing thing is that I don't know if we can trust it or if that info is correct. In the same model years for other cars you can find a 3 and even a 5......but I guess your reasoning assuming the info about the 5th digit is right that anything higher than 2 would represent the phase 2 diff?

If someone can help us we could find the actual part# for it in Subaru FAST.
    If you want to post or PM your chassis# I can get the basic info and post it and if someone can help navigate Fast (in Japanese) then we could even get the exact part#. This would be the best way of doing it.

You may be better off to find a company or one of our Sponsors who deals in parts, give them your chassis and they will find the part#.

User Info Menu

so did an oil change on my GTB today, turns out it doesn't have the original tranny in it, at least according to the tranny charts i've found

TY754VBAAA is the tranny in my car

TY752VBCAA is what all the tranny charts say are in a BH5 GTB

so now I really don't know which diff to get. lol

User Info Menu

I suppose my car could be a 99 MY instead of the 98MY...

User Info Menu

Hi Greg,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? my BH5 arrives in June and I have been hearing lots about this centre diff problem.

Thanks, appreciate any experience you can share.