Thread: GTO vs 3000gt/Stealth (a good read)

User Info Menu

Default GTO vs 3000gt/Stealth (a good read)

Apparently 91.5+ came with forged cranks and metal head gaskets.. this came into effect in 94+ 3000gts/Stealths minus the headgasket part.

http://forum.canada3si.org/showthrea...7909#post37909

User Info Menu

i would definitely send the author of that thread some money over paypal
    90/98 GTO - 15g's&supporting, 400lb weight loss
    86 GTS - doriftooooo
    previous: 92 gto, 98 3kgt, aw11, ae86, ae85, ae86

User Info Menu

lol rez yes and also some of the mods on this forum too please
    That thread is interesting, so which models are tougher and more reliable?

User Info Menu

Anything that is 91+ is a good car, pretty similar mechanically right up till 99.

Its a good car, if you've never driven one, you should try sometime, its a lot harder core then you might think! Mmmm MR thats lighter without RWS, daddy like!
    1997 Toyota Celsior UCF20
    2002 Ford F150 5.4 4x4
    2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan Sport
    97 Cr250R/08 Thundercat 1000

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    lol rez yes and also some of the mods on this forum too please
    That thread is interesting, so which models are tougher and more reliable?
    honestly, all of them are tough&reliable as long as they are taken care of properly. i have the technically "weakest" model year, yet i beat the crap out of it everytime i drive it [cause i take care of it]. where as ive seen 93+ here blow their cars apart on stock everything. just like every other car right?

but just to give a straight answer to your question, the 93 and up model years are the tougher & more reliable ones. they have a tougher crank, better headgasket, thicker output shaft, stronger transfercase, better capacitors, to name a few things. there are exceptions though. for example, the 90-93 5spd tranny is much tougher than the 93+ 6spds.
    86 GTS - doriftooooo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rez604 View Post
    honestly, all of them are tough&reliable as long as they are taken care of properly. i have the technically "weakest" model year, yet i beat the crap out of it everytime i drive it [cause i take care of it]. where as ive seen 93+ here blow their cars apart on stock everything. just like every other car right?

but just to give a straight answer to your question, the 93 and up model years are the tougher & more reliable ones. they have a tougher crank, better headgasket, thicker output shaft, stronger transfercase, better capacitors, to name a few things. there are exceptions though. for example, the 90-93 5spd tranny is much tougher than the 93+ 6spds.

"90-93 5spd tranny is much tougher than the 93+ 6spds"

Is there any support for this? I know that 90-mid91 the tranny is the weakest due to 18 spline shaft mid91+ 25 spline was available which is stronger, but I don't understand why the 5 speed would be stronger than the 6 speed, it doesn't make sense cause the 6 speed is a much closer gear ratio and its 25 spline. Most 3/s drag cars on 3si.org use the 6 speed. I thought the general rule was the closer the gear ratio the stronger the tranny is, for example the WRX type RA has a MUCH stronger gearbox due to close gear ratio compared to the non RA.

User Info Menu

ill back up what i say. strictly speakin on what they can handle in terms of abuse.
    the 18spline OS is indeed weaker than the 25spline one. however, both can easily be broken with a inexperienced launch even on stock power. of course a 300m output shaft remedies this.
    gear ratio has nothing to do with what abuse the trans can take in our cars. they just effect driving feel, economy, top speed, power band, etc.
    most drag cars use the 5spd actually, due to it having such long gears and handling big power. look over ray pampena, matt monnett, chris hill, jack t, etc. etc. all recommend the 5spd over the 6spd for drag racing. autocross on the other hand 6spd wins out.
    launching is no contest, 5spd wins. to give you an idea, the 6spd needs a bell housing brace on the clutch side to stop it from shattering. same with the end case towards the fender side, hence billet end cases being made for the 6spds. these are both made for 5spds as well [after they were made for 6spds cause they kept breaking], but i have never seen or heard of a 5spd breaking like the 6spd. and just for extra info why the 6spd brakes on hard launches/too much load: our gears try to push each other apart, its the trans case that takes this load. the 6spd gives out in these situations. no mod is required to the 5spd case to handle big power, where as the 6spd needs the brace and end case.

want a bullet proof driveline for the gto?
    5spd+300m OS+billet tcase (for draging, highway pulls, high hp)
    or
    6spd+brace+billet end case+300m OS (for autocross, city driving, more fun on lower hp)
    redline launch on 1000awhp no problem. proven by both ray p & nelson b. if you do ever get up to that kind of power though, you will start having to worry about the rear axles, tcase gears, and the front diff.

search 5spd vs 6spd on 3si and you will see all the threads.

speaking of launches, couple ways you can cheat to save your driveline:
    - pump tire pressure up around 35-40psi
    - install a weaker clutch that will slip on launch
    - solid motor mounts

i have done a 1.7' 60ft on stock driveline, just by making sure i slip the clutch and spin the tires. this is on the "weak" 5spd, "weak" 18spline OS, and "weak" 1st gen tcase. no braces. see what im trying to get at? HOW you drive it also plays a big role.

ok ive written enough for one post, hope you enjoyed the info session
    86 GTS - doriftooooo

User Info Menu

Hi gent,

I just read this, i have some issue on my GT also hope your all can give me some opinion,
    I own a GTO in UK call GT3000, JDM V6 auto NA my rear differential ratio is 3707, plan to swap to TT 5 speeds or 6 speeds manual but dont know my diff is suit for 5 spds or 6 spds? As i know the diff ratio was different between JDM and UKDM please advice.
    does anyone know about 5 speeds diff ratioand also 6 speeds diff ratio is ?
    Thanks in advance