Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soarer Compliance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    If you don't plan on registering it for road use, you don't have to worry about anything.

Bring in the car and do whatever you want with it.
    I plan of trying my luck, as many have, to assemble as a kit car, and have a new vin assigned to it. I wish to bring it in as complete as possible, and use a USDM engine/tranny combo as the drivetrain. This way it is considerably different than the configuration offered in Japan(Kinda).

I have seen some people successfully register it legally, and as some have seen on this forum, been taken to court and win the right to keep their car. I thought, why not give it a try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpk2012 View Post
    I plan of trying my luck, as many have, to assemble as a kit car, and have a new vin assigned to it. I wish to bring it in as complete as possible, and use a USDM engine/tranny combo as the drivetrain. This way it is considerably different than the configuration offered in Japan(Kinda).

I have seen some people successfully register it legally, and as some have seen on this forum, been taken to court and win the right to keep their car. I thought, why not give it a try.
    sounds risky, but good luck! where are you located in the states? I might take one of the soarer's for a road trip down in the summer sometime

User Info Menu

Oh, if youre in the states (or canada) bringing in a car with intention to re-vin and label as kit car is illegal.
    Last edited by Braden; 03-06-2011 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

If you use a customs broker and do it legally, (bring it to us legally as parts), its up to the state you live in on titling it. Alot of states issue a state assigned serial # and title it off of that serial as its vin , because there is no visible 17 digit vin. Call a customs broker and your local dmv to be sure you do it legally and correctly. Or, move to canada like I did and not worry about driving your jdm gem on the streets! You can bring it whole to canada and not have to worry about all the hassle and costs that come with importing parts and titling in the states. Then you can go visit your friends in the states and show off your gem in the states, win some shows, hit a road course with the only rhd car, then come back and drive the gorgeous hills and mountains of canada and enjoy yourself.
    Last edited by joeyfmx; 03-06-2011 at 07:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Oh, if youre in the states (or canada) bringing in a car with intention to re-vin and label as kit car is illegal.
    Not swapping vins. You can have one assigned to your car via the DOT. also, as Joey states. I have read some other court documents, like the ones joey provided, and I find it a fairly easy fight if taken to court.

User Info Menu

Well it depends on your states rules, methods and procedures on issuing your vehicle its own vin/serial. If brought in as parts no problem getting it to your garage, but then you must get plates, and that is at your states discretion, so again, call your local dmv and a customs broker to do it right and increase your chances of getting a street legal jdm creation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpk2012 View Post
    Not swapping vins. You can have one assigned to your car via the DOT. also, as Joey states. I have read some other court documents, like the ones joey provided, and I find it a fairly easy fight if taken to court.
    This is very interesting, can you make a thread about this in the US section?
    I didn't now VINs can be assigned via the DOT, in BC, Canada we can do the same thing if the chassis# can't be found in multiple spots.