Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 555?

User Info Menu

If that's the price range, here's one with under 70K for under 6K.
    http://forums.jdmvip.com/1993_WRX_64...-t-2#post31809
    It's a WRX, and has tiger striped seats, and it would be a fun ride!

User Info Menu

Looks like Tiger lot to me as well. Im curious how the whole car shifted about a half foot to the side (hence the build up of soil next to the wheel). Looks like it may have been fork lifted and moved.

I dont like to speak badly about other importers. We are all in the same business just trying to make a way. My only advice is that if you buy a car from there, do your research. Also, its always a good thing to have money tucked aside for repairs. Ive heard many stories of people dropping thousands into Tiger cars right after buying them and some people get a decent car.

User Info Menu

Unlike matty, I've no reservations regarding speaking badly about anything. I wouldn't buy a car from TJ out of principle. They're not in the business of selling cars, they're in a business of pushing junk on people who either don't know better or are motivated by "How bad can it be?" principle. If your luck is not quite good and your car blows up the moment it leaves the Tiger lot (which would likely have to be on a flatbed), they'll act like they don't know you, and they'll probably do a very good job of it.

I personally wouldn't buy any "fresh" import landed in TO within the typical Tiger budget, but for a hassle-free car in this town all roads lead to Rightdrive, and for a good reason.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliment pitty.
    Tiger does serve a niche market in the industry. For the guys that are looking for build or project car, or for those who dont see value in a full, hassle free turn around service like we offer, they can be the place to go.

On a personal level, I would not buy a car from there but thats because im picky about my vehicles, especially now that I am getting older. I have owned 3 JDM imports now from three very different importers.

Two are considered very good (one was from RightDrive before I started working for them - not trying to toot my own horn - and the other from FEAST) and one was from an importer that I should have made better judgement with. The latter I bought because the car was a good price and nothing more. It ended up costing me more in the long run when the motor grenaded fairly quickly. Didnt push the car, never saw track or aggressive driving what so ever. Just coming home from work one day and the oil pump collar spun out on my. Ended up selling the car in pieces (Series 1 R32 GTR that was known for the oil collar problem). The importer I bought the GTR from is no longer in business and understandably so.
    Last edited by matty; 01-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.

User Info Menu

As everyone said it's not a 555, it's not even an STi and it looks somewhat rough, it has been in some minor rear end collision because of how the bumper meets the body and the missing paint.

Remember all STi's must have IC waterspray and the silver slanty IC among other things.

I'd like to hear more about this Tiger Japanese, pitty who did you hear the bad stories from? I personally like to know about those kinds of things.

matty, from what I understand FEAST used to have a horrible reputation but because of a few people on GTRC they got a good rep. I personally am 50/50 on them, one of my friend's Chris had a very annoying and apparent issue with his MAF when he got his R32 GTS-T from there. I'd be very interested in hearing more about the Series 1 R32 GTR, it seems people are avoiding them and some are sure they were certainly unreliable even if treated well.

User Info Menu

Even at a parts/project/scrap level, my beef with Tiger is that they're barely able to communicate, and when they do, they treat a potential customer like a nuisance. Trying to give them your money shouldn't feel like work, considering the level of service you get back, and the leap of faith it must've taken you to even consider something they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Thanks for the compliment pitty.
    Compliments where compliments are due. You guys are just across Bowes Rd from the shop where I do all my work, and every time I take a look as I pass by your lot, I get this nagging feeling that I want another car.

Edit!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this Tiger Japanese, pitty who did you hear the bad stories from? I personally like to know about those kinds of things.
    Firsthand experience, actually. I don't have much to tell in terms of dirty juicy details, as I never ended up actually dealing with them.
    Last edited by pitty; 01-18-2011 at 11:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    As everyone said it's not a 555, it's not even an STi and it looks somewhat rough, it has been in some minor rear end collision because of how the bumper meets the body and the missing paint.

Remember all STi's must have IC waterspray and the silver slanty IC among other things.

matty, from what I understand FEAST used to have a horrible reputation but because of a few people on GTRC they got a good rep. I personally am 50/50 on them, one of my friend's Chris had a very annoying and apparent issue with his MAF when he got his R32 GTS-T from there. I'd be very interested in hearing more about the Series 1 R32 GTR, it seems people are avoiding them and some are sure they were certainly unreliable even if treated well.
    My GTR did not come from FEAST. I had a 180sx from them and to this day it was probably one of the cleanest S-chassis ive seen. It cost more than what you should pay for an S-chassis but in this case I got what I paid for. Ive owned about half a dozen s-chassis and its where I got my start.

My GTR came from an importer whos name I cant even remember right now. I was not impressed wit their service, staff or how they operated. I should have known to back away but the price was good. Again, another exampl of you get what you pay for.

User Info Menu

The only experiance I have with TJ is bought a V1 STI swap they sent me a V4 STI swap.

User Info Menu

Interesting, but was the swap in good working order?

User Info Menu

No idea its still in my garage. Turns out the car my bro bought it for did not need a new engine at all. Just some plugs and coil packs and a fuck load of cleaning