Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did the French ever make a good car?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by a110rally View Post
    Well, the car weighs about 620 kg and has 165HP, it should be in the mid 5s or better depending on gearing.
    That's a pretty good power to weight ratio right there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pitty View Post
    So I maintain, in the days when you could drive a street-legal rally car off a dealer lot, the Japanese dominated.
    That's not entirely correct. It was the Japanese that sought to elevate their worldwide marque in the early 1990s by means of competition racing, developing a performance platform from their street vehicles (initially the Legacy, then the Impreza in Subaru's case). With the Japanese came their multi-million dollar marketing budgets and while they may have provided the body shells and motors, ALL of those cars were built from the ground-up by native European performance partners (Subaru-Prodrive, Toyota's TRD etc.); the cars were Japanese in name only.
    Last edited by koalorka; 11-29-2011 at 07:25 AM.
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

You're one of those people who hears "The sky is blue" and immediately starts arguing that it's azure, aren't you?

User Info Menu

You're one of those people who hears "The sky is blue" and immediately starts arguing that it's azure, aren't you?
    No really, the Japanese team WRC cars have almost nothing in common with road cars. I'm merely pointing out that your criticism of French rally cars applies just as well to the Japanese teams, even from the earliest days. The Japanese have never produced a purpose-built competitive, world rally car.

And the sky is an indigo-teal colouration depending upon moisture content and level of scattering, check your lexicon!
    Last edited by koalorka; 11-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

My criticism of the French rally cars, or any modern rally cars to that matter, is summarized as such: "Why can't I buy an all-wheel drive turbocharged Ford Fiesta which runs a full independent suspension?"

In '95, I could buy such a car. In 2010, the closest I can get to the champion team car is an FWD version with an economy-tuned NA motor, and a twist beam rear axle. It's absolutely irrelevant to my point where the team cars are (or were) prepared, or by whom, as I'm addressing the production vehicles. Having said that, if you're inclined to argue that a WRC car of the nineties was just as similar to its production counterpart as the current WRC cars to theirs, then knock yourself out.

User Info Menu

"Why can't I buy an all-wheel drive turbocharged Ford Fiesta which runs a full independent suspension?"
    Your grievance is with the omnipresent EPA.

And while current WRC cars have become more saturated with technology and shiny hydro-electronically-controlled active differentials, rally cars of the 90s were still specialized and hand-made performance machines and only a veneer of their road-going counterparts. If you look at the components of the Group A-specification Impreza that carried McRae to championship glory, while Hyundai was still heavily focused on their core business of manufacturing washing machines, you will find very little commonality with even the STi cars of the same time.
    Last edited by koalorka; 11-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    1995 STi Version II

User Info Menu

My grievance is with the FIA. The "omnipresent" EPA has no authority over the european market, whence the WRC cars of late all originate.

Speaking of technology saturation. The washing machines you're referring to featured the "shiny hydro-electronically-controlled active differentials"... off the showroom floor. I probably don't have to explain to you just how shiny.
    Last edited by pitty; 11-29-2011 at 10:40 AM.

User Info Menu

hmm. My understanding of Group A until 1997 rule changes, was that the cars were to be pretty close to stock, slight power modifications as well as suspension and tires chosen per track - but that the cars were pretty close to stock, and then 1997 changed things greatly.

Maybe I've got that wrong though?

User Info Menu

Me too. I always figured they used consumer versions for the bases prior to whatever year (start with a type ra, modify it for rally for example).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Braden View Post
    Me too. I always figured they used consumer versions for the bases prior to whatever year (start with a type ra, modify it for rally for example).
    Yes, the engine blocks and shells and a few panels.

The newer and evolving WRC specification has transformed the competition into a contest of budgets and sponsors. Group A allowed more private entities.
    1995 STi Version II