Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO/RO Shipping Rules for Parts

User Info Menu

Default RO/RO Shipping Rules for Parts

I've heard that at least with NYK you can't ship parts, they say it's not allowed. I remember asking this somewhere but don't recall hearing an answer.

Is that a "hard rule" or can you still just throw parts in and hope for the best (that the yard and boat staff won't hijack your stuff)? Has anyone done this?

I also wonder if someone has a good idea of how to secure parts/box of parts to the car. I was thinking if you got a strong enough hard plastic box and used a bicycle lock to the arm of the trunk that might be a deterrent etc.. any thoughts from Exporters and buyers?

User Info Menu

Box with a Lock wouldnt be a good idea as customs might then decide that your car is used for smuggling stuff, and it could get a very "Careful" inspection..

User Info Menu

Good point hunter, the only possibility would be to secure whatever part it is directly if possible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Good point hunter, the only possibility would be to secure whatever part it is directly if possible.
    By the time you pay someone to do this wouldn't it cost the same to just ship it by EMS or whatever?

Seems like it's not worth trying to ship parts RoRo unless you just take the risk of shoving them in the car.

User Info Menu

My shipping agent doesn't allow it at all. they check over vehicles before they are given to NYK and I believe that they would call me if there are any parts inside that I might want. I'm not too sure however since I always remove parts myself.

I had to remove a bumper to ship a vehicle before and we needed to call NKY to see if it was okay to place the bumper inside the vehicle for shipment. The word was that it was fine in a necessity for the bumper but not for anything else. Just to let you know, the bumper was 4.5 cm off the ground. I don't know about every shipping agent but mine will measure the vehicles clearance on the front and rear and will inform me if there is expected to be trouble loading and unloading on the boat. To this day, I have not found damage to the bumpers all the way down to 8.5 cm. The port says 10cm is the standard cutoff but the overhang affects clearance.

It seems to be a hard rule that pats can not be shipped.

Also, my agent will not even book something with a locked glove compartment so a lock box is out of the question.

User Info Menu

It looks like it is allowed in some cases, Mr. hunter showed us here that there is cargo in a Kei truck shipped RO/RO.
    http://forums.jdmvip.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=151
    Does anyone know the owner/Importer of this vehicle?

User Info Menu

Yes, super interesting.

I recently had a door car thrown out that was in the trunk.
    I will be watching this

User Info Menu

This is nothing new…….

Sometimes you get away with it and most of the time you do not.

The problem is, if you do not……. there goes your parts. If you are not worried about the parts then take the risk.

Cheers

MB..

User Info Menu

I'd like to clarify who/what is the "Agent"? Is it the local third party representative of the RORO line that takes legal possession of the vehicle or is it the local employee at the holding lot?

The reason I ask is because it seems to me that there's no way that cargo could be missed or overlooked by any agent, whereas Derek's reported items being removed from the trunk so obviously some agents/workers are looking and others aren't?

I do agree with the point that it's risky shipping that way, but say if you put on new rims on your ride but wanted the OEM ones shoved in the trunk as winter rims or to sell etc.., there's little harm there IMHO if they go missing (not that it would make anyone happy though).

User Info Menu

"agent" is a very loose term.

For example NYK would have a shipping agent such as ACGI in Vancouver.

Container/ roro lines such as NYK have their own booking department who take container/roro bookings from various shippers. As NYK own the ship they would set the rules regarding what can or cannot be included with a vehicle. The bottom line is a shipping agent works for and on behalf of the ship owner and/or charterers of a vessel. Cargo is shipped under strict guidelines and the owner of the cargo is responsible for insuring the cargo for loss.

All the terms are in the fine print on page 1 of your original bill of lading.

The bottom line is that all the risk of loss of your vehicle and or it's parts
    remains with you the vehicle owner. This is why marine insurance is important as this is the only way you can protect your property.