Thread: How fast is the RZ compared to other JDM cars?

User Info Menu

Default How fast is the RZ compared to other JDM cars?

If you can compare it to a 1jz soarer or a 2jz aristo or maybe a 5 speed GTO or maybe a R32 GTR.
    Also, are the gears on a 6 speed rz short ? In a 5 speed gto I'm used to doing 100km/h in third gear at about 3.2-3.3 rpm.

Is there a huge difference in terms of acceleration in a 6 speed vs an auto RZ?

User Info Menu

100k in 3rd at 3.2k rpm?!

Tall gearing is tall.

Both my wrx and r32 were 3k at 100km/h in 5th.

I have never driven a rz before, but I am guessing the gearing wouldn't be much off of an r32, but then you have 6th to drop it down even more on the highway if you want. Probably a bit shorter, yet taller because of the extra gear.

In terms of 0-60mph 4.9s, for manual, and auto is 5.6s from a quick google search.

Of course this is if you launch perfectly with the standard and can shift well. Average joe to average joe it would be a drivers race.

Here are some figures of the cars you listed.

R32 GTR 0-60 @ 4.7s (would be a drivers race)
    Soarer is 5.8 or so
    GTO 0-60 is 5.4s
    Aristo is around 6s if I recall

Take these with a grain of salt, in any case it could be a drivers race stock/stock.

Highway rolls are where the JZ engines shine.
    Last edited by Braden; 02-20-2011 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

it would be interesting to see a top gear episode of all the listed above cars getting track times... I would be glued in to the TV

User Info Menu

I don't understand why a 2.5L tt is 5.8 or so and a 3.0 tt is 6 sec.. I thought there was like 50-100lb weight difference

User Info Menu

There's a huge difference in acceleration between auto and 6spd RZ's.
    99 Ver.5 STi Type RA Limited
    99 FD3S RS - Innocent Blue Mica

User Info Menu

Well the biggest issue with the supra is lack of traction..

I had a nice tuned 6 speed.

Big Single, all the supporting mods..

and it would drift every turn, it was crazy fast.. but death was coming my way if i drove it to much.. LoL..

give me a Tuned GTR anyday.. Grip and Cornering thats what i like.. Mountain roads at High speeds.. supra = Death

User Info Menu

I think it's safe to say that RZ is quite fast and fairs well against its competitors.

hunter props for recognizing the danger with the tuned RZ and giving it up. It's better to stay alive and keep driving more JDMs . Some don't agree with me, but I think highpowered/tuned RWD cars are fairly dangerous no matter how careful you are. They're only good for the track IMHO and should only be driven by true pros.

I love the 2JZ-GTE but I do feel the AWD of Skyline is a huge benefit in grip and safety. It's a shame they didn't use the AWD transmission from Aristo with the Supra.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    I think it's safe to say that RZ is quite fast and fairs well against its competitors.

hunter props for recognizing the danger with the tuned RZ and giving it up. It's better to stay alive and keep driving more JDMs . Some don't agree with me, but I think highpowered/tuned RWD cars are fairly dangerous no matter how careful you are. They're only good for the track IMHO and should only be driven by true pros.

I love the 2JZ-GTE but I do feel the AWD of Skyline is a huge benefit in grip and safety. It's a shame they didn't use the AWD transmission from Aristo with the Supra.
    A high horsepower Supra with no/stock traction control is definitely dangerous. That is why I went with this system http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php...action-control

We'll see how well it works, but it has to be better than the stock system!

User Info Menu

I was in the toronto Supra Club for near 10yrs, I've been in lots of mega HP cars, you know its all how you use it. You can have 600rwhp, and as long as you have some skill you're fine. Get on the power in 3rd or 4th and know what to do with it, its not that different then a 300hp car. Its having a lot of power with poor skill or self control that'll get you in trouble.

User Info Menu

Nice one Mark, that should keep you safe.

King good point but I'm still concerned that it takes a lot more skill than we expect to drive a car with that much HP aggressively.

I think self-control is a big part too, a careless pull could be the end of it though.

I think that kind of power is amazing as long as it's done in a safe place/safe manner.