Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Subaru Impreza Oil Filter Part# Thread - All Brands

User Info Menu

Found these data sheets on Wix's website:

Thread sizes are the same for both filters.
    51334 oil by-pass valve rated at 8-11 PSI oil pressure.
    57712 oil by-pass valve rated at 23 PSI oil pressure.
    'Nominal Micron Rating' is the same for both filters; 21... However the rating works... I'm guessing this means the physical size of the holes in the paper filter media. Might be better to run with the 57712 on second thought, because of it's greater by-pass pressure rating. That way you know if the oil pressure ever rose too much, the 57712 w/23 PSI pressure setting would protect and continue to filter the oil where the 51334 would have already by-passed at 11 PSI.

Just thinking 'outloud' here. No way am I an expert.

User Info Menu

Very good observations natsirt, I've updated my OP because this thread is very old with outdated info.

The WIX 51334/NAPA 1334 is actually technically not specified for the USDM WRX but some non-turbo models and only mentions a Legacy turbo, but there reasons some recommended this model over the 57712. There's no proof either way but my OP includes the theory of why some believe the larger 1334 filter is actually better.

Technically the 57712 model is more correct as shown by WIX, it is specified for many USDM turbo models including WRX.

One thing that makes sense from what I was reading is that the reason the by-pass filter is activated at a lower PSI for the 51334 model is because the chances of it needing to bypass are lower since it has a larger capacity and larger filter media. I've used the 1334MP NAPA version of this for years with good results though.

User Info Menu

I just changed the oil today... used a filter from an 02 WRX as stated above in my v3 sti.

Used 4.5L of Castrol GTX 10W-30. Might be placebo but I swear the slap is quieter now.

User Info Menu

Just had Mr Lube change my oil. I would of done it myself but my garage is not complete. Brought my own jug of Rotella t6 which was fine, but the manager wouldn't let me use my napa 57712. Gave me an explanation that this oil change won't be covered under warranty and that this napa filter is tiny. He suggested a product called "Luber finer" which he says is equivalent to/and made by wix 51337.

I googled the brand and it's made by champ...which makes m1 and warner filters. I'm going to monitor my oil and change it again in 3k or less.
    Last edited by awd_ftw; 09-20-2014 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

The turbo Subarus use a small oil filter, did you tell him this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UrbKlr View Post
    The turbo Subarus use a small oil filter, did you tell him this?
    Yes I did, even showed him the wix website. I think the manager just wanted to cover his ass incase of a leak or something. He didn't charge me for the filter and even installed my napa gold air filter.
    Last edited by awd_ftw; 09-20-2014 at 08:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Just strange that he refused to use an OEM style/replacement filter and instead opted for something that didn't come on the car originally.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by awd_ftw View Post
    Just had Mr Lube change my oil. I would of done it myself but my garage is not complete. Brought my own jug of Rotella t6 which was fine, but the manager wouldn't let me use my napa 57712. Gave me an explanation that this oil change won't be covered under warranty and that this napa filter is tiny. He suggested a product called "Luber finer" which he says is equivalent to/and made by wix 51337.

I googled the brand and it's made by champ...which makes m1 and warner filters. I'm going to monitor my oil and change it again in 3k or less.
    Interesting coincidence because I bought two 57712 yesterday (NAPA Gold/WIX).

Wow awd what a crazy story and Urb is right, look at the size of the filter 51337 is.......and it is not for any Subaru but for a Hino truck! What is wrong with Mr Lube? this could cause serious oil pressure issues and the filter would easily get smashed on a speed bump etc...

User Info Menu

Yeah I know jdmvip, I think I am going to swap filters. The oil is only less than 24hrs old. Wise idea to reuse the oil that drains from the filter swap? I have about 300ml left of rotella.

Edit: the napa gold 57712 is half that size of the 51337 you posted.

User Info Menu

You can reuse it, maybe strain it before putting it back in. The OEM Filter is very small on the turbo Subarus. Easily half the size of that 51337.

Also if you are near a Subaru dealer, OEM filters are $11 with a new drain plug gasket...
    Last edited by UrbKlr; 09-21-2014 at 08:28 AM.