Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subaru Impreza Oil Filter Part# Thread - All Brands

User Info Menu

Default Subaru Impreza Oil Filter Part# Thread - All Brands

According to Subaru they only have one oil filter from the old Impreza to even the current generation.

I've confirmed the filter that FRAM lists for any Subaru Impreza is a perfect fit for my 1993 Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA Version1 GC8.
    *Updated from my experience/other posts I DO NOT recommend FRAM for any car, they are some of the worst quality filters. Please don't use FRAM for any car unless you hate your car.

• WIX #51334
    • WIX #57712
    • NAPA 1334MP Gold (WIX made) filter (same as WIX 51334 remove the 5 from any WIX part# and you have the NAPA version of WIX)
    • K&N: HP-1015 (should be good for any USDM & JDM Impreza until GDB Version II 2003)
    • Purolator Part#PL14612 or L14460 should be fine
    • Subaru Generic Filter (only from Subaru dealerships of course): SCI530009
    • FRAM Normal Filter: CP3593A
    • FRAM Synthetic: XG3593A
    *Note that WIX and NAPA do NOT list the 1334/51334 filter as being compatible with any USDM WRX, it is specified for some non-turbos and I believe a Legacy turbo model. I've used this for 5 years with no issues, people recommend in some various forums due to it's larger physical size and say this is better than using smaller filters such as 57712 (there's no proof either way). The theory is that a larger filter size creates less chance of the by-pass filter being used (by-pass mode means the oil is not being filtered at all to preserve engine flow in the event that the filter gets overwhelmed/clogged with crap etc..).
    Last edited by jdmvip; 11-27-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: update + thanks natsirt

User Info Menu

Just an update, I forgot to mention it's been said that Purolator filters are the exact same thing as the OEM Subaru filters.

User Info Menu

One more thing, supposedly the non-synthetic FRAM filters are known to be the worst in general.

Some people say the high-end Synthetic XG line is much better though. If I can find WIX or K&N I would definitely go with one of those next time.

User Info Menu

I stick with the oem. You gotta love Subaru in the way that they are like Lego. These cars actually use the exact same oil filter as my 2000 Honda Prelude.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

Which part# of Subaru/Honda do you use? I think there are so-called "black filters" that Subaru uses for the STi, they are different than other filters.

I would still stick with the Subaru or one that says it is for our cars, usually they have some kind of valve. I can't remember what it does, I think it prevents dirty oil from passing through (I know this sounds dumb since that is the main purpose of the filter in the first place, I can't word it right).

Also, never trust Subaru when they are talking about their own cars and parts. They know practically nothing about North American Subaru's in my experience.

User Info Menu

I don't buy my stuff right from the Subaru dealer haha. I go to one of the local tuning shops that are both really good and huge into Subaru's. I'm not sure what's the part #. I know that there are black filters and blue filters. I can't remember which ones are being discontinued but one of them are. Not sure the reason either.
    93 GC8A 5spd Graphite Gray Pearl! (SOLD)
    04 SG5 Manual Forester XT
    97 JZX100 5spd Toyota Chaser Tourer V!

User Info Menu

I just tried NAPA's Gold 1334MP filter in my WRX. The circumference is a lot larger than the FRAM XG I had in there, to the point I couldn't get any filter wrench around it properly.

User Info Menu

so does that mean the NAPA ones filter can take in more crap and last longer?

User Info Menu

Remember NAPA is just rebranded WIX though. I'm not sure if this means it can take more crap or last longer, I have no way of knowing, but it's definitely bigger.

Lots of higher performance cars have smaller filters, so I'm not sure if it means very much. Some of the "black" STi filters are fairly short and narrow, and some people said the design change was not for function, but because the manufacturer just felt like it (who knows the truth for sure).

I'm just glad I'm not using anymore FRAM, they have got to be some of the worst ones you could ever get.

User Info Menu

what happen when you use FRAM? oil got dirty faster? sorry, maybe dumb question....I never know how you can tell if one filter is better than another.