Thread: steering wheel shaking

User Info Menu

Default steering wheel shaking

so i finally brought my prelude home. car was beautiful, interior was clean everything looked good, but when i was driving on the highway around 100kmh the steering wheel would start to shake, it would disappear when i slowed down, what could be the cause for this? unbalanced/uneven tires?

im taking it for OOP this week so hopefully they find out

User Info Menu

You need a wheel balance. From a 10 second google search:

The symptoms of a wheel that is out of balance are:
    Vibration in the steering wheel at certain highway speeds.
    Vibration in the seat or floorboard at certain highway speeds.
    Scalloped or cupped wear pattern on the tires

The symptoms of a car that is out of alignment are:
    Uneven or rapid tire wear
    Pulling or drifting away from a straight line
    Wandering on a straight level road
    Spokes of the steering wheel off to one side while driving on a straight and level road.
    Last edited by reet; 03-12-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    I will eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

User Info Menu

thanks man. hopefully thats all that it needs and nothing serious($$$)

but besides that car runs great. kinda missed the turbo sound of my rex but should do for now haha

User Info Menu

First thing you could check (that's free) is snow - do you have any in your wheels? if you do - then you could be throwing your balance off enough that your wheel will shake. I've had that a couple times.

Also, wheel balance - that could be checked. If you had it done at the shop I use, they include an alignment in the OOP price. So it shouldn't be that - you could just take it back and see.

User Info Menu

im getting it done there probably sometime this week. just need to figure out how to install that hamsar kit, im doing it tomorrow.

there is still a lot of thread on the tires so theres possibilty that it might be the snow but i guess we will find out after i get my OOP done.

soren ill pm you when i book my OOP and we can meet up ........ finaally haha

User Info Menu

I would first go with wheel balancing/tire problems and move on to things like control arms, tie rods etc...

Another simple thing to check is to make sure your lug nuts are 100% tight.