Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RHD in Saskatchewan

User Info Menu

Default RHD in Saskatchewan

Here's what you need to know.

When I imported my car, I contacted SGI with some questions, and here are the answers I received from the SGI Fair Practices Office:

• There are no additional premiums to register and insure a right hand drive vehicle.
    • According to SGI, the primary safety issue with a RHD vehicle on the right-hand side of the highway or roadway is limited visibility when passing another vehicle or leaving a parking position and entering the roadway.
    • At the present time, SGI is not planning to restrict or ban the use of RHD vehicles on public roads within Saskatchewan.

SGI also provided me with the attached documents. Basically, the requirements to register your Japanese car is the same as the requirements to register a left hand drive car from Alberta.

Step 1 - Get temp permit to drive car for 8 days. You require the original bill of sale to get this
    Step 2 - Take car to a shop of your choice for inspection. If you suspect the shop is trying to rip you off, tell you that you need something you don't, you can go directly to SGI for a second opinion. Don't get ripped off!
    Step 3 - Take your bill of sale and passed inspection paper to SGI and get a licence plate!
    Attached Files Attached Files
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. Your post count is 0 momentarily.
    I will eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

User Info Menu

Good information. I'm sure this will help a lot of members!

User Info Menu

+1 reet, this is a very useful thread.

User Info Menu

Wow this is great. Thank you so much for posting this!

User Info Menu

By the way, would this be considered sticky material? There is a sticky about OOP in B.C.

User Info Menu

Someone should also make a sticky Alberta one!! It'd be great to have guides for all the provinces!

User Info Menu

I loved this quote out of the second pdf "*SGI does not recommend that the holder of a learner or novice stage driver’s
    licence operate a right hand drive vehicle because of the identified safety issue."

I was doing that, its not to difficult to figure out if you can drive half decent

Great info. It really is easy to do here. Even when I made my claim when that guy backed into me it was the same as any other car.

And dang, this in its self could of saved me a LOT of trouble when OOPing my skyline "Neutral safety switches missing on vehicles with an automatic transmission.
    Corrected with the installation of a neutral safety switch in accordance with the
    vehicle manufacturer’s instructions."

Great post!
    Last edited by Braden; 03-17-2011 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Ignorance is bliss...What SGI apparently doesn't understand is that new drivers will have an easier time adjusting because they have not generated the left hand habits of someone who has been driving for many years.

The key info though is that learners are inexperienced drivers, so it is probably better to learn to drive on the left side.
    I will eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Ill be needing this in a couple months.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reet View Post
    Ignorance is bliss...What SGI apparently doesn't understand is that new drivers will have an easier time adjusting because they have not generated the left hand habits of someone who has been driving for many years.

The key info though is that learners are inexperienced drivers, so it is probably better to learn to drive on the left side.
    Yeah, I agree on both parts. I first drove for 3 months on my learners in my parents lhd vehicles (not saying I can perfectly drive in any vehicle, but I do good enough), then I bought my r32, hardly any different driving it, then I sold it, bought my gc8, then I took it for my drivers test last year I'm not saying I am an awesome driver, but I'm not as scary as some of my friends. Plus driving in Stoon isn't like driving in toronto, or even cow town. We have it a lot easier.