Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1331

Thread: The Introduction Thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brunotimaru View Post
    Name: Bruno
    Current Vehicle: Toyota Starlet 1990 Canvas top
    Job: Car Wrecker
    Other info: I do wrecking in my yard. Crush cars left and right. Recycle for world and better living.

Cheers
    Welcome to the forums!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Subie View Post
    Name: Subie aka Vince
    Current Vehicle: nothing JDM at the moment, hyundai tucson and mazda atenza
    Job: machine operator at stackpole international
    Other info: looking to import a legacy b4 rsk or s15 silvia in the near future (research mode at the moment)
    Welcome if you need any assistance we source cars for our members now. Either way let us know how the search goes and ask us here for questions!

I'm inherently biased towards the Subaru's so the B4 RSK would not be a bad idea or you could get the new BL5 version like a Spec B (nice that the newer models have the single turbo now!).

User Info Menu

Name: Ken
    Current Vehicle: 1989 Land cruiser FJ62, 2004 F350 super duty. Sold my 1990 Land cruiser Prado about 7 years ago.
    Job: Firefighter.
    Hello all. I'm in search of a 70 series HZJ77 land cruiser, between the years 1992-2003. If anyone has any links or information please respond.

User Info Menu

Name: Dave
    Current Vehicle: Too Many
    Job: Red Seal Auto Tech
    Other: Looking at Awd Manual Wagons. Trying to see if a JDM is the right fit.

User Info Menu

Welcome to JDMVIP Ken and Dave!
    - 1996 XI Honda Integra J32, ITR Clone -
    - 2001 GDB STI WRB, Lachute Power Plant-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DH750 View Post
    Name: Dave
    Current Vehicle: Too Many
    Job: Red Seal Auto Tech
    Other: Looking at Awd Manual Wagons. Trying to see if a JDM is the right fit.
    Welcome Dave! I assume you would be looking at cars like Legacy, Stagea and Crown? Just a plug but yes I think JDM is a fit and you won't be disappointed. I have honestly never met anyone that regretted buying a JDM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger View Post
    Name: Ken
    Current Vehicle: 1989 Land cruiser FJ62, 2004 F350 super duty. Sold my 1990 Land cruiser Prado about 7 years ago.
    Job: Firefighter.
    Hello all. I'm in search of a 70 series HZJ77 land cruiser, between the years 1992-2003. If anyone has any links or information please respond.
    Hey Ken sorry I missed your intro! Firefighters are always welcome here. I have an Uncle who actually has a JDM Firetruck! Any luck with your search? I think I e-mailed you but not sure if you got it.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Hi.

I'm in Salt Lake City Utah and just imported a JDM AE92 Corolla FX-GT. Video to follow.

I've been an enthusiast for the 4AGE cars since late 80's. My first car was a Corolla FX16 GTS, followed by an AW11 MR2 back before my lifestyle allowed multiple vehicles. After many years of driving Tacoma, I started racing AW11s in 24 Hour Of Lemons. Added a race car to the stable. Then a street car. Then a stream of parts donors and beater cars that never seems to end.

Currently:
    FX16 GTS beater daily.
    Nice 20 valve swapped 87 MR2 with running issues.
    88 Supercharged MR2 race car.
    And the JDM 1990 Corolla FX-GT.

The FX-GT is in my garage, but the final title process is still wrapping up. I expect I can put it on the street next week.

I'll look around for the proper threads to post a video and a few questions.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forums! I think we have a few Utah members hanging around and even more lurking. That Corolla series back in the days was really sick I wish Toyota had pushed that same inspiration into later versions.

Please let us know more about the import process in your state and the registration process as you do it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, Toyota really dropped the ball with the hot-hatch market here. Their only effort was the FX16, a truly under-appreciated car, which was very competitive with the VW GTI, Civic SI, and Integra. Marketing was really lacking. They also handed the AWD wagon market to Subaru by dropping the 4WD Tercel and Corolla All-trac, both way ahead of their time. You couldn't buy a 2ZZ MR2 Spyder, but you could buy a 2ZZ Pontiac Vibe? Not smart.

Utah has a bit if JDM awareness, thanks partly to JDM Legends being local, especially now that they have a TV show but only among car enthusiasts. JDM cars are still an obscure novelty here. I rarely see any on the street, but there are quite a few that show up at shows. I mostly sight Delicas and AWD Toyota Vans, A couple 70 series Land Cruisers on the road. The occasional Skyline. My buddy's Nissan Pao attracts the attention of a crashed UFO every time he takes it anywhere. Mine will probably go unnoticed except by some very observant car enthusiasts.

I found my car on Goo-net and had JDM Legends import it for me. I don't want to disclose my cost, but I was kind of the low-budget poster-child of their newly published importation process

I had been discussing pricing and car candidates with them occasionally for some months before I asked them to start the purchase process on my car in late May. They had their agent in Japan check it out and answer a few questions I had about the car, and I pulled the trigger. I made a payment to JDM Legends to cover the price of purchase and transport to the agent's Osaka facilities.

The agent sent a bunch of photos mid June from Osaka. It waited there a while as they gathered other cars to fill a shipping container. It survived the June Osaka earthquake undamaged. It shipped out near the end of June.

August 22 it arrive by transport in Salt Lake. I was surprised because I had not heard that it had landed in San Diego or completed the US destination dock reception processes. JDML sent me a picture of it in their shop that late that morning and was there withing an hour checking it out.

It was DOA, slightly concerning, but it was just a dead battery and empty fuel tank. Not uncommon for cars they receive. Knowing I'm a capable mechanic they let me fuel it and change the battery. They were very understanding that I was budget oriented, and kindly skipped many services they usually charge clients for.

The following week made another large payment and drove it home. The import process was not complete, but JDML needs all the space they can get in their shop. They put a dealer plate on it and followed me. I had driven RHD only briefly once before, and we were not sure of reliability, so took surface roads mostly, but in the end I was too curious and took the freeway the last few miles to get it up to speed. The car drove perfectly! Strong, quiet, smooth and straight!

After discovering some translations errors, JDM Legends have done the final step of submitting all the documentation required to the state to process the title and it should arrive next week. I have an insurance policy through Hagerty waiting to activate. Should be driving it in a few days!

So the process has taken over 4 months from the time I said "do it". I was prepared for that, but hoped I could get some mountain road trips in this season. May be too late for that now.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post
    Welcome to the forums! I think we have a few Utah members hanging around and even more lurking. That Corolla series back in the days was really sick I wish Toyota had pushed that same inspiration into later versions.

Please let us know more about the import process in your state and the registration process as you do it.